Options

Best part time IT jobs?

MattFranks94MattFranks94 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just curious of what you guys think the best part time IT jobs are? I've got son on the way and would prefer not to work 9-6 everyday for a couple of years so I could watch him grow up. Only got 2 years IT support help desk experience behind me so I know i wont be able to get much but just asking if anyone has had any experience with part time IT work.

By part time I dont mean working 2-3 days a week, just one day off here and there or finishing earlier,

Cheers guys

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It would be more of a company thing to find a job that offers may 4 10 hour days , but that will cut in waking hours spent with the kid those other 4 days that you work. When you have more experience you may find a place that may give you a 1 day a week wfh policy so you can at least be home so you don't have to commute that day to dig into your time.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I had a great one when my son was little. Plus benefits. Budget cuts brought that to end. It is very rare to find a part-time IT position. Is your company willing to have your hours cut back. The company I was at before I left work part-time, agreed for me working 32-35 hours.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're intent on working in IT, I'd recommend targeting companies with more flexibility in terms of work-life balance like NGO's. They won't pay much but they will give you more flexibility in getting to be with your little ones here and there.

My .02
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on your pending new family addition...

By part-time - do you mean work 10 to 30 hours a week? Or are you asking about 40 hours a week but with 10 hour shifts?

If you are referring to actual part-time work - you could possibly consider doing short-term gigs on places like Upwork. Also - there could be NOC shift jobs which may be looking for part-time coverage.

One other possibility is small MSPs or Cloud MSPs that need part-time coverage. In our cloud practice for example, we hired a couple of part-time support folks so we had some extra coverage for customers.

Good luck.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sounds to me like he's asking about flex time, not part time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, was looking for around 30 hours p/w.

I've when heard working in schools you do around those hours not too sure though.

Also, what's NGO's? Sorry I'm relatively new to all this.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys, was looking for around 30 hours p/w.

I've when heard working in schools you do around those hours not too sure though.

Also, what's NGO's? Sorry I'm relatively new to all this.

NGO = Nongovernment Organization. A nonprofit organization that often is there to fill voids or gaps the government has failed in, they almost always have a social or political agenda too.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    NGO = Nongovernment Organization. A nonprofit organization that often is there to fill voids or gaps the government has failed in, they almost always have a social or political agenda too.

I've had firsthand experience working in IT for an NGO and I can tell you the pay is NOT great but the flexibility is good and its a rewarding way to help your community. I'd def. give it a look to see if it works for you.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    Thanks guys I'll have a look :)