Should I go for Server 2012 or 2016?

dandadynamitedandadynamite Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello'

I am looking to pursue my MCSA for Server 2012 and possibly my MCSE, but I dont know how many more years 2012 will be in rotation. Should I just opt to do all the above for 2016, or will 2012 be out for a much longer time?

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Personally I would go for 2016. Like you said, it's the most recent release and will be future proof for at least a couple more years. Indeed, I would even recommend in MCSE 2016 cloud platform and infrastructure.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would personally recommend at this point to start with Server 2016. Windows Server 2012 end of support is 2023 so about 5 years left on that version. ;)

However, I think there is only slight differences between the two versions (2012-2016) from what I have read/researched but definitely getting an MCSE will help you out!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for WS-2016, WS-2012 will very soon be replaced by 2016 and actually 2016 is already being ran in test-beds for production. Don't waste anytime or money on 2012.
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also Server 2019 is out round October so Server 2012 will be more far back, definitely go with Server 2016.

I was in the same position as you this time last year, everyone said go 2012 because of the study material etc. Glad I didn't listen and went for 2016 instead (future proof reasons) and I'm nearly there.....just one more exam to go icon_study.gif
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At this point be thinking 2016. Unless the business you work at (or intend) on working at is a 2012 based shop.

You could also get the 2012 version, then take the cumulative upgrade exam on top of that to upgrade to 2016 and have both (someone correct me if I'm wrong...), I hadn't seen that option mentioned.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +