Options

Learning new skills at work.....

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
This IMO is has been my Pandora's box.

I used to love labbing at home, but once I tasted the fruits of learning enterprise technology in a large scale enterprise from experts who can show you the reality of the product/technology it's because virtually impossible to muster myself to self learn at home. I equate it to walking 5 miles to work taking 50 minutes to get to work, and then borrowing a bicycle for 3 weeks and getting their in 15 minutes......

Anyone else experience?

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This IMO is has been my Pandora's box.

I used to love labbing at home, but once I tasted the fruits of learning enterprise technology in a large scale enterprise from experts who can show you the reality of the product/technology it's because virtually impossible to muster myself to self learn at home. I equate it to walking 5 miles to work taking 50 minutes to get to work, and then borrowing a bicycle for 3 weeks and getting their in 15 minutes......

Anyone else experience?

Exactly. It's nice to have time to develop at work with someone who has expert level knowledge in a field who and is willing to mentor you. It's like going from climbing a rope to riding an escalator....
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Exactly. It's nice to have time to develop at work with someone who has expert level knowledge in a field who and is willing to mentor you. It's like going from climbing a rope to riding an escalator....

Even simple exercises at home have become like root canals..... I do enjoy baseball data so I do some research and dashboarding on this, but in regards to certifications it's brutal.

Sadly enough I am currently reviewing some MCSA SQL material.... We shall see if this takes hold of if it becomes another orphaned effort, one of many.

It doesn't help that the knowledge/tech I'm learning has a hefty price tag associated with it, once you get into the 2 year experience range.