CCNP Worth getting if interested in Cloud Career?

nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Currently work as a mid level net engineer for my company. Im pursuing my CCNP R&S ,but lately i've been getting more and more curious about cloud work since thats where a lot of the industry seems to be heading to. I was wondering if i should even bother finishing my CCNP? I already have my CCNA , but i dont have any Linux or AWS knowledge.

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you want to get into cloud stuff, you don't need the CCNP at all. Learn linux and get the RHCSA to start with. Then shift gears and pivot into the AWS certs. Your networking knowledge already will help you understand what you need to know for networking. I'd highly recommend Linux Academy to learn all of that.
  • nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want to get into cloud stuff, you don't need the CCNP at all. Learn linux and get the RHCSA to start with. Then shift gears and pivot into the AWS certs. Your networking knowledge already will help you understand what you need to know for networking. I'd highly recommend Linux Academy to learn all of that.

So what jobs should i be aiming for? I was planning at looking at acloudguru
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you want to be a cloud builder or cloud consumer? If you want to help architect a cloud solution, then a strong networking knowledge is critical. If you're interested in deploying VMs, creating serverless, etc then basic network knowledge will work.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • nothimagainnothimagain Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Do you want to be a cloud builder or cloud consumer? If you want to help architect a cloud solution, then a strong networking knowledge is critical. If you're interested in deploying VMs, creating serverless, etc then basic network knowledge will work.

cloud solution seems more like a better fit to me as i've already have networking knowledge and would prefer not to lose it.