Options

Looking for some insight

Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some insight into working for the feds. It's a junior role basically working with end users and the network. The only thing I'm not familiar with that they do is html add ins and sharepoint administration. I didn't know as much would come from me applying but apparently their in need of IT personnel.

For me it something I'd like to make a career out of. I don't want to sound lazy but there is a definite appeal to me working for the same organization for 20-25 years. The backround check won't be an issue and it grants a clearance.

For those of you that have done this how was the work atmosphere and were you able to advance in responsibilities/position? Forgive me for not naming the branch but I don't know all the rules for those 3 letter places.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Contractor or government?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I can only vouch for the contractor side. LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mike R wrote: »
    Good morning everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some insight into working for the feds. It's a junior role basically working with end users and the network.

Just like working for any other employer. Answer phone calls, go through trouble tickets, work on projects. The only difference is with DoD or other agencies there are specific cert/education requirements for IT each position. For example, a Security+ is required for any privileged account at DoD.
    Mike R wrote: »
    For those of you that have done this how was the work atmosphere and were you able to advance in responsibilities/position?

Work atmosphere will depend where you'll be working at. At a secure space, it's 8hrs in a safe room with no windows.. unclass is just a normal work cubicle or office. I'd say in the public sector it's easier to advance with the right certs and experience. It's all up to you.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux