Options

Message to anyone who is a contractor.... DONT GIVE UP!!!!!

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
icon_cheers.gif
I have been very busy.... so I am back to say I finally did what I set out to do and got converted to a full time employee with a great company.... So in case there are any contractors reading this who feel like giving up and going to a different field this post is just for you....

1. don't stop and believe
I say this because that is number one! You have to believe in yourself and your OWN abilities.... You have everything you need to be a full time employee

2. Work hard and don't stop!
You may think your work and drive is going to nothing but people are always watching you... good, bad, or whatever.... management will see your hard work and reward you accordingly

3. Network and build yourself
Never stop learning.... never stop growing, and don't be afraid to fail.....
If you don't know.... ask.... seek and you will find the answer....

Im here to tell you that you can be a FTE and grow with a company.... it took me 3 years to do it.... and if I can do it you can to!!!!
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You gota specify which type of contractor because some of us are technically FTE, we just switch companies every 5 years :)
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    to specify....

the contractors who are not FTE that are trying to be FTE :)
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    In the UK its the other way around, FTE would love to be contractors! twice as much pay for the same job
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    In the UK its the other way around, FTE would love to be contractors! twice as much pay for the same job

LOL! What's all the fuss with FTE? I've been FTE and left for a contract role. If I don't see any advancement opportunities, I bounce to the next role.

But congrats to the OP for landing an FTE role.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep, especially in London. Our company pays contractors 3 times as much as FTE. So everyone wants to be an contractor but because of lack of job security not many do.

But being a FTE then getting made redundant after 2 years is becoming more regular in the UK.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's great for you. It hasn't been my experience in my past when I took contract roles that were supposed to be "to hire" but the companies that I worked for had zero plans to ever have the job go perm. That of course left a sour taste in my mouth for sure and has been why I have only dealt with recruiting companies that will only present to me direct hire roles.
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ya congrats on becoming FTE, in some cases that is a good deal but in my case contracting is much more lucerative and I have all the benfefits of an FTE. I just have to switch employers every 5 years when the contract is up, unless my current employer wins again. Also with contracting for me, getting raises is much easier.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    icon_cheers.gif
    I have been very busy.... so I am back to say I finally did what I set out to do and got converted to a full time employee with a great company.... So in case there are any contractors reading this who feel like giving up and going to a different field this post is just for you....

1. don't stop and believe
    I say this because that is number one! You have to believe in yourself and your OWN abilities.... You have everything you need to be a full time employee

2. Work hard and don't stop!
    You may think your work and drive is going to nothing but people are always watching you... good, bad, or whatever.... management will see your hard work and reward you accordingly

3. Network and build yourself
    Never stop learning.... never stop growing, and don't be afraid to fail.....
    If you don't know.... ask.... seek and you will find the answer....

Im here to tell you that you can be a FTE and grow with a company.... it took me 3 years to do it.... and if I can do it you can to!!!!

I'm glad you got a FTE role, but man 3 years is a long time. Did you get a raise when you went to FTE?

I don't like contracts and I try to avoid them if I can. It seems more companies are moving towards contracts though.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    McxRisley wrote: »
    Ya congrats on becoming FTE, in some cases that is a good deal but in my case contracting is much more lucerative and I have all the benfefits of an FTE. I just have to switch employers every 5 years when the contract is up, unless my current employer wins again. Also with contracting for me, getting raises is much easier.

think they're referring more to temp/staffing agency type of contacting