Options

WGU Bachelors: CyberSecurity/Information Assurance... Anyone done it? Worth it?

digitalcreepshowdigitalcreepshow Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Anyone doing or have done the BSCSIA (Cybersecurity) program at WGU? I really want to start making headway into getting into this field and came across this program. I was hoping some of you not only had input on the degree program at this school but also could give me your two cents on my situation. A little bit about me and my particular situation:

1. I already have a Bachelor of Science from a good school in Business Management.
2. I already have a job in IT as a Systems Analyst (fairly good job)- with one year of experience so far.
3. I want to gain knowledge and experience to work into a Cybersecurity analyst role/information security analyst role.
4. I am studying for Net+ currently, when I am done I will move onto Sec+ and then go for something higher up.

It seems depending on who I talk to, I get different opinions about my specific case and the best approach for me. On one hand, I have real world job experience in real IT (scripting, database management, technical report writing, meeting with and explaining IT to upper management/board of directors, etc...) and could probably just get certs on my own and move into a cyber analyst role at some point. While I do not have a ton of cybersecurity related duties right now, a lot of what I do would be similar in fashion to a cyber analyst role. On the other hand, with my bachelors that I already have, I checked out WGU and it would only take me about 8 months to complete the entire degree, which includes a bunch of certs (some good, some are OK but nothing to scream about).

My main two questions are:

1. Do you recommend the cyber program (or any IT program) at WGU? Did you have good success with it? Did it help you land a job, get promoted, etc...? Also, how was the school itself and your experience with it day in and day out.

2. What would you recommend for someone in my position wishing to get into the cyber field?

I apologize for this long and somewhat disorganized post but I have seen some great feedback on these forums from real IT people who may have insights I don't. Any input is appreciated, even if it is slightly unrelated to my post. Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have a BS already and are already working in IT, don't get another BS. My recommendation would be to figure out what you want to do in security first. Check here for general descriptions of the different areas:

https://tisiphone.net/2015/10/12/starting-an-infosec-career-the-megamix-chapters-1-3/

I'd say study up, see what you can do in your current job to add anything remotely security related. Pick up a cert or two, then start applying. If you can get an internal transfer to the security dept at your current job it would be a great lower stress first job as you'll already know the company and staff.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I got my BS in Network Administration, MS in Information Security and Assurance, and finishing MBA in IT Management at WGU. I can't say enough good things about WGU programs. The self-study at your own pace works the best for me due to my schedule.

1. Finishing my BS didn't do much at all for me, but being in the MSISA program helped me get my previous SysAdmin job. Being in the MBA program helped me get my current job.

2. Study as much cyber-security technology and policies that you can find. Look for jobs that require relatively little IT Security experience and start there.

My biggest question to you: if you are looking to further your education, why are you considering another Bachelor's instead of just going for Master's? Unless there are core competencies that the school requires that necessitates a BS in IT first, you should just go for that. For example, when I started the MSISA degree at WGU, the only requirement was CCNA. I think they've lowered it to CCENT, but I'm not entirely sure.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've heard of some people getting there 2nd BA at WGU in IT when they already have a BA in liberal studies of some sort.
  • Options
    supafish9supafish9 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I picked up my second degree at WGU. My first degree was in liberal arts and didn't translate well to my experience in networking and electronics, so I went for the IT-Security. Since finishing, I've been working as a security analyst. In the month after finishing my degree, I was getting hit up by recruiters several times a week and landed a few interviews before taking on this role. I think having a technical degree helps, plus the certs that you get at WGU (CCNA R&S and Security, Linux+, Sec+, Net+) will help you at least get you into the interview.
  • Options
    How is the job working out for you now? Are you working crazy hours? Would you mind if I PM you to get some experiences on your time with the program?
  • Options
    fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently enrolled in the Cybersecurity & Information Assurance degree plan at WGU. I enjoy it. My experience with the staff and course mentor have been great.

As far as if it's worth it or not, I guess I won't truly know until I graduate and see if it opens up any doors for me. I'm currently in my first security role at a SOC. My CEH and GCIH are the only reason I was even able to get an interview. Before my security certs, I was never even able to get an email or call for a security related role. There's a ton of jobs that require a degree. That's the main thing that made me decide to go to school. WGU's program is legit. You get the degree and a number of recognized certs. Plus I like to think having a degree in a technical field would help. For a lot of security positions, they say something along the lines of "Degree in computer science or computer related field required.".
  • Options
    @fabosstrong Good to hear! Would you mind if I sent you a PM?
  • Options
    How is the job working out for you now? Are you working crazy hours? Would you mind if I PM you to get some experiences on your time with the program?

I'm enjoying the role so far. The company has recently started putting funding and support into the security side, so I'm in the fortunate position to help work on policy and procedures while doing the day to day log monitoring and threat hunting. Hours are completely reasonable - I'm doing about 45 a week. If you have any questions, feel free to post here. I did a lot of lurking while I was at WGU on these forums, so if there's any wisdom I can share, I'll give what I can.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. It will be very useful to have such wisdom. I guess I am still stuck about whether getting a whole other degree will really pay off for me or if I can tough it with my current job, get certifications, and land a job that way. Tough to say, though WGU is enticing.
  • Options
    There's a few ways to look at the cost/benefit of WGU, especially since you already have a degree and experience. Going in you wouldn't have to take any general ed courses since those would be covered by your degree. Additionally, any certs you have would count towards completed courses. On top of that, your experience will help you get through some of the easier courses in a few days.

That being said, it costs about $3k for a term (which is 6 months). Talk to an enrollment adviser and look at what classes you will already have credit for. Most of the remaining classes will be for certs you don't have - CCSP, SSCP, ECES, ECIH, Sec+. You'd have to look through LinkedIn and whatever other job boards are in your area to see if companies even care about those certs. You'll probably be able to finish your degree in a term or two depending on how busy work and life is for you.

Ultimately you're going to get out what you put in. After I started in my role, the manager who hired me told me that I beat out guys who had been working in the field for a few years because they didn't understand the theory behind what they were doing. The day-to-day stuff you can pick up as you troubleshoot and look for compromises, but if you don't understand the WHY and the HOW, you're only going to go so far. It's important to be technically proficient but ultimately security is to support the business and balance risk.
  • Options
    For sure. I guess my biggest debate is whether a job would care if I had a specific degree or not. It is tough to say because some people swear by the fact that a degree and certs together will separate you from the pack, but others swear that the degree won't do a thing and that the certs are more important. A degree meaning A SECOND degree. The real debate is if I truly could benefit from having a real IT degree. I have seen some job postings ask specifically for an IT or computer science degree, so that is the only thing that might make it hard to get past HR and the like.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Popular question lately, especially among people who haven't posted here much. My answer is no, you are unlikely to benefit from having a specific degree. At least, the benefit won't be worth the extra time/cost. Don't believe me? Go do a search of popular job boards. I bet you won't find very many jobs that insist on a degree with a particular emphasis. You might find some that prefer a particular degree but require? Small percentage.