After much deliberation, it's an MSc for me!

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
In 2011, I studied Digital Forensics for 3 years with security modules included in the course. I ended up working in digital security after graduating. After starting work in the industry, I began saving up for a house with the girlfriend who I had just got engaged to. A long story short, we were together for 7 years when she one day (Feb, 201icon_cool.gif blocked me on everything. Facebook, phone number. Everything. I begged via email for an answer. 7 years i'd been with her, what was going on? 4 months passed and i'd heard nothing. I sent one more email. She replied and told me she'd met someone new. Hell, I didn't know she was even looking for someone new. We were engaged! Needless to say, I was depressed. I couldn't motivate myself to fry an egg, never-mind study.

Anyway, my workplace made me do the SY0-401 Security+. And *thankfully*, my study-bug has returned. I asked my workplace if they'd fund the CEH v10 but they aren't really big fans of the CEH, so after much thought, i've decided to take on a 3 year part-time masters course at a university. I'll be working full-time alongside it, but I believe that during this time, I can achieve 3 things: A) Get a promotion (or two) , B) Get a salary increase and C) Get a master's degree in 3 years time which has been a personal goal for a while.

I'll check this thread in 3 years when i've got the MSc and I hope that the bad thoughts of how she treated me is just a distant memory and i'll have achieved a lot since then. So I guess this thread is a selfish one really. It's for me to look back on in future and see how far i've got.

Thanks for reading if anyone does icon_smile.gif

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Sorry to hear about the break up. I've been following your threads since you started posting and didn't know about that, hope things are looking up for you

What kind of MSc ?

Have you thought of doing technical certs instead of MSc ?

Good luck either way
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the break up. I've been following your threads since you started posting and didn't know about that, hope things are looking up for you

What kind of MSc ?

Have you thought of doing technical certs instead of MSc ?

Good luck either way

Thanks i've really appreciated you checking out my threads! Although half of them were me moaning about working in a SOC at one point! It's a masters in Digital Security, it covers networking and attacks in a lot of detail - i'm finding that if I want to get into the red team, they want someone who is proficient in web-based attacks like XSS or XSRF - all of which i've got very limited knowledge on. The university has set up an OSCP-like lab where you can hack to your heart's content.

I have been weighing up doing the WAPT by eLearnSecurity but i'm hearing mixed reviews about the quality of the video-lessons so i'm not sure if I want to take the plunge without a sample of the content first.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    fair enough, good luck with that! I usually prefer training courses (SANS, offsec, elearn) to MScs for pentesting in general

Keep us posted and all the best
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    In 2011, I studied Digital Forensics for 3 years with security modules included in the course. I ended up working in digital security after graduating. After starting work in the industry, I began saving up for a house with the girlfriend who I had just got engaged to. A long story short, we were together for 7 years when she one day (Feb, 201icon_cool.gif blocked me on everything. Facebook, phone number. Everything. I begged via email for an answer. 7 years i'd been with her, what was going on? 4 months passed and i'd heard nothing. I sent one more email. She replied and told me she'd met someone new. Hell, I didn't know she was even looking for someone new. We were engaged! Needless to say, I was depressed. I couldn't motivate myself to fry an egg, never-mind study.

Anyway, my workplace made me do the SY0-401 Security+. And *thankfully*, my study-bug has returned. I asked my workplace if they'd fund the CEH v10 but they aren't really big fans of the CEH, so after much thought, i've decided to take on a 3 year part-time masters course at a university. I'll be working full-time alongside it, but I believe that during this time, I can achieve 3 things: A) Get a promotion (or two) , B) Get a salary increase and C) Get a master's degree in 3 years time which has been a personal goal for a while.

I'll check this thread in 3 years when i've got the MSc and I hope that the bad thoughts of how she treated me is just a distant memory and i'll have achieved a lot since then. So I guess this thread is a selfish one really. It's for me to look back on in future and see how far i've got.

Thanks for reading if anyone does icon_smile.gif
    Ten years ago I was in your shoes when my ex-fiancee went radio silent. It sucks now but it does get better.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck with it
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wish you the best.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry to hear about the girlfriend, but hey at least you didn't get married and break up after. I will say I really enjoyed my Masters and at least it is something that does not expire. Plus you can then start teaching and that's an alternative source of income for you. With working in the industry you'll be able to greatly assist future students with real world scenarios and tactics.

"A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education." - George Bernard Shaw

Never stop learning! Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Well, that just bites about the girlfriend...really cold. Gives us women a bad name when crap like that happens. Anyway, all the best to you.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nah, it ain't a selfish thread. Life happens; how do you stay motivated? OP is staying motivated. Thanks for sharing OP!

I'm starting to start (certs/education), in my own journey too!