Vote on New Categories Here

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
We plan on adding a few more forum categories to expand discussions beyond certification preparation. We’ve gathered suggestions from senior TechExam members, admins and mods to get started.

Vote for your top five ideas here (heads up, it's a Google form): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSesdRl09YzglYjfJUjDPSxVJp5Im94NWx4AkJo6H704-TJ3PQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

If you have suggestions not included in the form, share them below.

Comments

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you create a poll here on TE?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can, but polls are limited to 10 options (we have about 15 suggestions in the form). How about I let the Google form run for a few days and put the most popular categories in a poll to vote here? We don't plan on launching 15 new categories all at once, but want to use the feedback to prioritize new category creation (and thread migration from the mega "off-topic" category).
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would also like to see new categories on big data (mainly elastic stack for me personally) also one on scripting (powershell and python for me personally)
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why do I need to sign in to google to fill a survey about new categories on an open forum?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    wd40 wrote: »
    Why do I need to sign in to google to fill a survey about new categories on an open forum?

Per Admin: polls are limited to 10 options (we have about 15 suggestions in the form

As far as Google, it makes you sign in to prevent duplicate votes by the same user
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I understand the 10 options limit, I just don't like signing in to google to fill forms, maybe Admin can add a field for Techexams user name instead of requiring login.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm sure she could but then she couldn't control someone from filling out someone else's name or doing duplicates. If I recall correctly, Google forms like that usually require someone to sign in to prevent duplicates. That's the only way Google is tracking that. Since admin already has admin access to Techexams, she already sees your email address and other identification you used to sign in with. I would recommend using the same account if it's one you can sign into google with or making a dummy one if it concerns you.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Perhaps it's already on TE and I missed it, but robotics and AI seems like a good category to cover, they are at indirectly related to IT. If what the proponents of the Fourth Industrial Revolution claims comes to past, 47% of current jobs will be done by robots and AI. I would welcome a forum here to discuss the latest developments and trends and perhaps learning resources for others (and myself as well lol) to acquire the skill sets to work on AI/robotic systems should they want to pursue that career path. Next to IoT, AI is having (another) resurgence with lots of exciting things happening.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me, Iristheangel. You are correct -- requiring sign in is how Google prevents duplicate responses. If you want to vote but aren't comfortable signing into Google, please PM me.

Love the AI/Robotics idea!

A few users on this thread (http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/133109-if-you-could-change-anything-about-techexams-what-would-you-change.html) also recommended Offensive Security.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Would it be possible to list the suggested new forums again? The doc cannot be viewed after the votes are recorded.

I was wondering if there was a non-tech off-topic forum was on the list.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    right click the link, open in incognito or private.
    Here's a list of all the suggested forums, including a few recent ones from members.

If you'd like to vote, please use the Google form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSesdRl09YzglYjfJUjDPSxVJp5Im94NWx4AkJo6H704-TJ3PQ/viewform) or PM me with your top five choices. Please don't vote here -- group think is real. ;)

General (need a better name)

Off Topic
    Current off-topic content will be migrated here

For Sale & Wanted
    Tech items only!

For Sale

Wanted

Just for Fun
    gifs, memes, music & more

Computer Gaming
    What's your favorite PC game?

Troubleshooting
    Ask the forum for help

Show Us Your Tech!
    What are you running? Show off your computer setup here!

Vendor Research & Reviews
    Help others make good purchasing decisions

AI/Robotics

Scripting
    Python, PowerShell, etc.

Education & Development

Educational Resources
    Books, websites & blogs

Colleges & Schools
    All; will include subforums for pop. schools (WGU) and computing clubs

Professional Development
    Professional networking, interviewing tips & more

Security Awareness Training
    Best practices, end user education resources & more

TechExams Welcome Center

Introduce Yourself
    Introduce yourself to the forum and explain how we can help you.

Announcements
    Forum news, contests & more

Forum Rules

Tech Exams Support
    Suggest new categories, report bugs or ask for forum help here

Information Security

Cloud Security & IoT

Data Regulations
    SOX, HIPAA, GLBA, PCI-DSS, GDPR & more

Data Storage & Backups

Encryption & Cryptosystems

Offensive Security

Data Center
    Network with other DC admins & share stories from the trenches

Security News & Breaches
    News, threat intel & more

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    That's a good list. With regards to the Off Topic, like someone else mentioned, a true Off Topic would be great. Anything outside of NSFW/Politics/Religion. It would be a great way for the community to find other common ground with each other, join other groups for such things as video games and such, and become an overall tighter knit community.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    I like that idea -- a "water cooler" of sorts.

We will need some additional moderators to help us keep things clean, friendly and tidy. If you're interested in helping out, please PM me with what you'd be interested in moderating (can be any current or proposed category) and why.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm guessing that the new TE owners may be looking to drive traffic to the forum with the changes.

Since there are members that are sometimes looking for jobs, a category where recruiters can post positions could be useful. I realize that we often shun recruiters from the forums but perhaps if there's a dedicated category, it can reduce spam.

These type of rules could be helpful:
    1) Recruiters must identify themselves or provide a valid company email address
    2) Recruiters can only post in the job board forum. Only a recruiter can respond to posts that they created. No one else can respond so as to cut down noise.
    3) Limit the number of posts from each recruiting firm per week. This could also be a revenue stream if you want to create a paid tier for recruiters. And it doesn't compete with existing TE business.
    4) Member can rep/review recruiters for their experience. Perhaps that will help with the recruiting ghosting that everyone complains about.
    5) Break down job categories by geography and include a remote section.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the new TE owners may be looking to drive traffic to the forum with the changes.

Since there are members that are sometimes looking for jobs, a category where recruiters can post positions could be useful. I realize that we often shun recruiters from the forums but perhaps if there's a dedicated category, it can reduce spam.

2) Recruiters can only post in the job board forum. Only a recruiter can respond to posts that they created. No one else can respond so as to cut down noise.
    3) Limit the number of posts from each recruiting firm per week. This could also be a revenue stream if you want to create a paid tier for recruiters. And it doesn't compete with existing TE business.
    4) Member can rep/review recruiters for their experience. Perhaps that will help with the recruiting ghosting that everyone complains about.

To expand on this:
    If a company/recruiter pays for advertising rights they get their own subforum in the jobs category.
    -No poaching in other recruiter's forums

Definitely need a subforum for resume writing/critiquing.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just thought, a category on conferences would be great.
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Voted! Looking forward to the new categories. icon_cool.gif
  • TechmaniaTechmania Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□

Need categories on Cloud certifications. I find it under others. I feel you can move this outside of others.

• COBOL_DOS_ERACOBOL_DOS_ERA Member Posts: 205 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kaiju Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »

To expand on this:
    If a company/recruiter pays for advertising rights they get their own subforum in the jobs category.
    -No poaching in other recruiter's forums

Definitely need a subforum for resume writing/critiquing.

expanding on Paul and Kaju's suggestion, could  we split job section under two tab. One for recruiter only, and other for TE folks to post their open post listing with POC, so that any interested TE OP could send their resume to the hiring manager  or whoever in charge of hiring for the posting job.
    CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, PMP, PMI-ACP, SEC+, ITIL V3, A-CSM. And Many More.