Options

15yrs in IT going for MCSA....can it really be that hard?

BigTexITBigTexIT Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have never attempted to get a certification for any software. In my 17 years of IT I have always worked at small-midsize businesses supporting upwards of 400 employees and $500M in revenue and as low as 100 users with $60M in revenue. I have been desktop support all the way to a Director. Hence I have always worn many hats. Greats skills in sys admin, AD, exchange, data, etc...

I give you my background to ask legitimately (read: not arrogantly) can it be that difficult to get certified? Part of me says no I got this but the other part say Hell yes after taking some practice tests and purchasing some reading materials.

Any insights, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated since I do not know what to expect.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. I did my MCITP when doing desktop support and having limited Win server experience. Totally doable if you have the drive and put in the time studying and labbing.
  • Options
    Thanks! Do you recommend paying for practice test that are almost the same price as the 70-740 exam? Almost seems stupid to do that. I have only purchased the greenish/yellow paperback book for the 70-740. I just see everyone talks about how tough these exams are so I am not sure how much too study before I take the exam.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum. IT has always been a secondary part of my job in a much smaller environment.

With 15 years of experience in the industry you should already be familiar with a lot of the background information. What you need to do now is cover the exam material to fill in the gaps on anything that might be new features or areas your companies simply did not use. Perhaps you are familial with VMware but you will need to learn some of the specifics of Hyper-v for the certification.

Honestly if I was in your position and really interested I would just schedule a test for about a month from now and just go for it. It is certainly not something to be afraid of since Microsoft lets you take the test 5 times!

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did my MCSA Server 2016 in less than a year. 13 years of desktop support but hardly any server experience.

It's hard but can be done with motivation and use study materials to fill in the gaps you are unfamiliar with.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »

Honestly if I was in your position and really interested I would just schedule a test for about a month from now and just go for it. It is certainly not something to be afraid of since Microsoft lets you take the test 5 times!

^^This.

Give 740 a shot if you think you might be ready. There is nothing to lose except the financial cost of the exam and the potential bruised ego if you don't live up to your personal expectations (actually either of those could amount to ALOT depending on your perspective). There is no substitute for sitting the actual exam in the testing center.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    herath wrote: »
    "It is cheaper to get them on eBay."

Herath appears to be a spam bot for ebay knockoffs.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's hard. It's much easier when you already conditioned yourself for this self-learning lifestyle and have lifestyle inertia to help you. But starting it after 15 years is going to be psychologically hard.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I am halfway through the book. Microsoft has (suprisingly) had some helpful information in the virtual academy. edX seems like it has been great resource as well. I will book it for 2or3 weeks from now to finish up on the training. I will let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The big problem with M$ is that their Q&A's are some kind of insane stuff. If you worked with AD and Powershell for years (not that dummy mouse pushing guy), most stuff will be easy for you.
    Microsoft has a problem with good cert guides, 2012r2 was a total disaster and the whole concept changed with 2016 and gladly you get now for each exam a pearson book.

Just a advice: Do your exams step by step, let the stuff mature.
    Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did my MCSA Server 2016 in less than a year. 13 years of desktop support but hardly any server experience.

It's hard but can be done with motivation and use study materials to fill in the gaps you are unfamiliar with.

Wow, you all have me motivated. I'm several years in IT too, tier 1 and 2 support and no on the job server experience.