How do I become a Network Admin?

So I am currently working on my bachlor at WGU. I was wondering is that the best path to become a Network admin? Can I just take some certifications and become a network admin? How can I become a Network Admin?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Look for Jr Admin positions.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    What certs do I need to become a Junior Network Admin?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Step 1: Don't walk out on current IT job icon_razz.gif

Seriously though the path usually goes something like Helpdesk > Network Analyst > Network Admin... Getting your CCNA and maybe CCNP somewhere along the way

Best way to see what companies are asking for is to look at job ads
    It all depends on the job. Start searching and see.
    NetworkNewb I swear I woudn't walk out again. That was the stupidness thing i ever did.
    So the path is go from helpdesk and work the way up to Network Analyst?

So Network Analyst is a lower position then Network admin?

How long should I work in helpdesk before looking for a Network Analyst job?
    What experience do you have??
    2 weeks of helpdesk which i can't put on my resume because walk out cold turkey. :)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So the path is go from helpdesk and work the way up to Network Analyst?

Not always... Some companies will hire Network Analyst right out of college.
    So Network Analyst is a lower position then Network admin?

Yep
    How long should I work in helpdesk before looking for a Network Analyst job?

No exact time, would depend on the company, what your duties were as the analyst(can be very little or alot, varies by company) and how well you interview.

Nothing is set in stone, each company is different, each person is different... Also, knowing the right person can help immensely. This is where IT meetup groups can help. Meetup.com is nice for finding groups in your area.
    so, nothing on your resume? Go back to the helpdesk, sometimes you have to start at the bottom. There is no easy way.
    What about WGU? Should I finish that or just work on CCNA?
    With me, I lucked out. I was a Data Management Assistant at a lab and they needed network support. I raised my hand and I got into networking that way. I was their Network Admin for 5 years before I moved on. I learned different skills along the way.
    With me, I lucked out. I was a Data Management Assistant at a lab and they needed network support. I raised my hand and I got into networking that way. I was their Network Admin for 5 years before I moved on. I learned different skills along the way.

Very impressive. Are you a Network Engineer now?
    I am a System Engineer now.
    Wow! That is awesome!
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not saying this is true of @scaredoftests but many people have title inflation. Don't be too impressed by a title without knowing what the person means by that. "Of course I'm a Systems Architect. Who do you think designed and built this 20-person LAN?"
    No inflation on my part. LOL. I'd like to inflate my height though. LOL
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Improve your grammar and don't leave a job before you have a new one lined up. If you were at a brick and mortar school, you could try to find a position doing tech support on campus. I did that for three semesters to get my feet wet in IT.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Improve your grammar and don't leave a job before you have a new one lined up. If you were at a brick and mortar school, you could try to find a position doing tech support on campus. I did that for three semesters to get my feet wet in IT.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90202971/why-quitting-your-job-without-a-backup-plan-can-help-your-career
    :P
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You won't walk into a network admin role with just a certification or degree with little/no experience. I can understand quitting your job due to the long commute, but in the future you should never quit like that as you never know when you may see a job you want to work for that company in the future, or the person who was your manager at the time will remember that you just up and quit without any sort of notice.

For starters, you need to ask yourself, "Why did I quit that job". If you thought it was too hard, too much interaction with people, or you were bored then IT may not be the thing for you. No matter what role you are in you will need strong communication skills in the local language and with many worldwide companies a solid understanding of English and proper grammar. I can understand if English is not your mother tongue because honestly it's not that great. Many roles will have periods of exciting fun/difficult tasks that will make you think and work hard. Other times you are trying to figure out what to do next because you are waiting for either something to break, a new task/project to start, or someone to complete their task so you can continue on.

To address your more specific questions. Yes, complete your BS degree as it will be something that you can keep and take with you for life. In 20 years a CCNA that you no longer keep active will mean nothing. A MCSA in Server 2012 will mean nothing. And in a week an A+/N+ will mean nothing. A good education will take you a far ways. Seeing that you are going to WGU, you really truly need to work on your communication skills as that will be huge for you to sell yourself in interviews as well as to help you craft resumes that get a companies attention to give you an offer.

Also, only look for local jobs unless you are willing to relocate to that area. A 2.5 hour commute will make anyone hate their job and want to quit. Now to get a job that will help you get to your goal, I'd suggest looking at Datacenter/NOC type roles or jobs with an MSP. MSP's will pay less normally than other similar roles, but you'll get a ton of experience and in a year or two you will want to find a new job elsewhere so you can get paid more fairly. Good luck and work hard in everything you do. Also, no more quitting with no notice unless it was an absolute toxic situation.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @faintingheart. Did you ever get a job as a System Administrator?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor