New gig: adjunct

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
After conquering my first public speaking engagement earlier this year, the next step in my long-term career plan includes teaching online. For over a year, I have been passively looking at teaching engagements mostly through HigherEdJobs.com. I set alerts to be notified of any openings for online teaching in the IT/Infosec arena and they produce a few hits every other week. I applied to a handful that seemed interesting but nothing ever panned out.

Fast forward to late June. I see one that piqued my curiosity. I got a response quick asking for a video interview. I have always hated these things in principle but since I was very ready for the adjunct role I said "whatever, let's do it". It turned out it wasn't that bad after all. I got 3 questions and 3 minutes each to answer. You also get a mock interview to make sure your video and audio are OK. I think this was a good way to verbalize how although I don't have formal teaching experience, I do have the passion for it. Overall, the process was very simple and I have no complaints.

After that I got called for a phone interview. It was a 25 min call to go over my background and I was offered the role on the spot. The hiring manager was willing to give me one session to try out and based on my performance would give me up to 2 session for the next term (10 weeks). We went through some logistics and I was told I would receive docs via email, etc. After completing all paperwork, I was assigned a Cisco Routing and Switching I class. I am shadowing a session that is currently in progress and will run my own in a couple of weeks.

I don't know if I am 90% excited and 10% scared, or vice versa. We'll see when the term starts.

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I am jealous... I want to get back into teaching so badly, although I've only done classroom environments, not virtual. Have fun!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very cool. Congrats!

Do you have to produce your own teaching materials or is that provided?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How are you evaluated? The schools I taught were based on degrees and certificates of completion, and I was graded on Retention Rate. We had to be above 96%, which I thought was unfair (especially for the Stockton, CA area).
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations Cyberguypr. I know that in the Toronto region, there is quite a few infosec teach positions open among the Canadian colleges here. It's definitely a good way to bring in a second income although the initial climb for setting up the course material can be a pain in the ass. A family of member of mine teaches some of the infosec classes here in the GTA and I would be the one marking the papers behind the scenes. Good luck on your new gig!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I'm hoping to pick up an adjunct spot when I graduate from the academy. Keep us posted on how it goes!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new opportunity. A nice way to give back and earn some extra cash at the same time, a win/win. Best of luck!
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I adjunct taught for a couple years or so. I was CCNP and CCAI certified and taught Cisco CCNA classes and CompTIA Net+ classes at our local college, in a classroom. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would like to again some day...

I've applied for a couple online and nothing has panned out yet for me yet but I'll keep trying. They don't pay the best but they are low stress and extremely fun.

When the beginning nervousness is gone you'll be good to go! Good luck!
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey congrats! That's an achievement to write home about! I would imagine you have an equal mix of both emotions maybe not at the same time. Anyway, good luck, but I know you will rock!
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's pretty cool. Keep us posted on your adventure!
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats cyberguypr! Let us know how it goes
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Awesome congrats man!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Provided.

Lucky bastard. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have lost track of the number of times I've had to work with students on any number of topics, including Cisco networking and network security, among other advanced CS/EE/Math & IT topics, and I had to develop my own material. On my own time.

Thankfully, few, if any students, questioned my high hourly rate, since I only billed for actual time spent with the student.

Oh, yeah, pssst...you found the way forward from a typical career in IT. If you have the right degrees, certifications, and experience, there's plenty of openings for all number of faculty roles, not just adjuncts, especially at community colleges.

BIG HINT. BIG BIG HINT.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
    Thanks all. To PCTechLinc's question, they have a set of criteria including things like expertise (currency of knowledge, breadth), preparation (responsiveness to students), presentation (enthusiasm, energy), "classroom" management, and cultural contribution (support university's mission). The last one references retention as a sub-item but doesn't specify.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This a public or private institution?

I adjunct at my local community college.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    So are you gonna teach undergrad students?

There are few openings here as well, but they all ask for PhD and research experience, and they're full time teaching positions
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE