Options

Roles in IT with minimal stress?

PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm in Help Desk.
Stressful? Sometimes
Well paying? No

I'm looking to specialize--and get off the Help Desk.

What are some roles in IT that have minimal stress but pays well? Or if it's stressful the compensation compensates for it?

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It all comes down to the end clients you support and your company to be honest. One can find a desktop support job low stress if they only support internal clients and they aren't jackasses and treat others with respect. Or you could work for a micromanager who makes your life hell. Any role can be low stress, even helpdesk. But it usually comes down to the company and your end clients. If you support outside customers, you will likely have higher stress.

Sysadmin can be low stress when you work for a company that treats you like a human with a life. But if they are short staffed and you don't get that work/home balance right it can be hell as you never stop working or worrying about a 3am call about something going down. Find what role you want and would enjoy, then find an employer that will give you that balance to enjoy life and work.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Roles are not intrinsically stressful. Bad bosses and bad practices make them stressful.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What #cyberguypr said. Bad bosses and practices make jobs stressful. Not having an exercise routine can make things stressful as well. Got to have time to blow off steam. Like for me, having a set schedule reduces stress. No rotating shifts/a good team and a great boss/room to grow.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All jobs have at least some stress. I've worked at several IT jobs, and they all have stress at times. Working with a good team of people you get along with, who work well, and who have good leadership definitely helps. Having customers and clients that aren't horse's rumps helps.

Some things I've learned that help with the stress:

1. As mentioned earlier, exercise and physical activity.

2. Keep learning so you know your stuff. You can solve problems quickly, which helps resolve stressful situations.

3. Always be ready to find another gig. Meaning in your personally life don't get over extended and have some cash in reserve. Live within your means. Then, when you are in a stressful work environment you will be free-er to speak your mind and address stressful situations.

4. Always keep getting educated, certified, and learning. The more skills you have the easier you can resolve problems, prove yourself worthy on the job which can give you some leverage. And mostly, education generally provides you with more options.

I've worked with too many people over the years who are stuck in a stress-filled job with a horrid manager, and they either can't afford to make a job change, don't have the skills to be marketable anywhere, and have to just sit and eat it.
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely agree it's usually not the work itself it's the people. I have one of those micromanagement bosses and it makes life total hell. The customers are generally ok, all the stress comes needlessly from up top.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stress often comes with the pay, unfortunately.

If you insist on avoiding stress then stay out of finance and healthcare industries, where millions of $$$/human lives may depend on your rather mundane IT decisions if you grow out of helpdesk and start working with crucial business solutions.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stress is self induced a lot of times. And of course the boss can influence that greatly.

I like data and programming, however it's stressful for most people. If you enjoy what you do and you are a good fit (aka good at it) that helps mitigate some of the stress. This is what my experiences have led me too.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Roles are not intrinsically stressful. Bad bosses and bad practices make them stressful.

That’s what it comes down to. Same role can be extremely stressful or not at all depending on your boss.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That will depend on the company and the position. There are one that prefers the work-life balanced and others don't care.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stress can also come down to personal experience and what you feel is stressful. Some people can handle better than others, therefore don't really see the big deal in stressful jobs. For example, a call center IT job where it's known to be very stressful and most only last upto 2 years before they finally kick the bucket (quit/get fired) while others can last more than 2 years. So it all depends on the person as well.
  • Options
    jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That’s what it comes down to. Same role can be extremely stressful or not at all depending on your boss.

Agreed 100%. I have a great CIO who treats the IT employees like family and the employees are patient with the IT group since we are small, however the CEO causes the stress with how he rules with a cutthroat attitude and unrealistic deadlines.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□

I totally agree with you!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NOC is pretty easy. I knew a guy back in the day who would get stoned and monitor alerts, he made about 30 an hour...... Worked 3rd shift for 10 years or so. Guy was bright too, had a CS BS from Missouri S&T.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Panther wrote: »
    I'm in Help Desk.
    Stressful? Sometimes
    Well paying? No

I'm looking to specialize--and get off the Help Desk.

What are some roles in IT that have minimal stress but pays well? Or if it's stressful the compensation compensates for it?

Try to read the hiring manager during the interview. Are they friendly? Does everyone seem like they're in a good mood? Ask what the cultural is like during the interview process.

Regarding the company:
    Are they a top 100 companies to work for..? Do they have wellness programs, and what kind of benefits do they have?

At my current role... desktop support. (contract role) Everyone at the entire company is pretty laid back. Sometimes things get crazy, but no one really gets mad at you. Every floor you work on has the values right in your face when you get of the elevator.

I have been told several times from supervisors that I support that they appreciate me. I really don't work with my boss that much, instead I work with another team mate.

You should get a list of Yes and No's. Basically what you're looking for in your next role.

For me the list goes like this

Yes
    Supporting AD enviroment
    Installing computers
    In person support.

Possible:
    On Call
    Rotating Weekends

No
    No working ever weekend
    No overnight's

You're next role would possibly be desktop support or a field tech. This would help you get off the help desk. Also, you could look for more advance help desk support roles. Think level 2 or 3... Also, some companies have help desk roles, that actually are more advance than other companies.

FYI-MSP's can be really stressful

Once you get your list of Yes's and No's, then it will be easier find what you want, because you have things narrowed down a bit. I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everything is stressful, it just depends on the day.

When I'm knee deep testing my MS-DOS script that I'm running as a Powershell script because that's the only way our RMM agent can execute custom scripts as the SYSTEM account, it's fun fun fun fun fun.

When the hotshot of a company needs me to guarantee that Microsoft's Sharepoint will play well with File Explorer, never lose the link again, and needed it done 10 minutes ago, I get a bit salty.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • Options
    tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    YUP!!!!

Still love the job. But now Im off!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Count on micro managers to ruin ANY job
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    futurehendrixfuturehendrix Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Depends on what gives you stress. For some (me myself and I futurehendrixdirtyspritelegendary), micromanaging by their boss gives them stress while for others, being the one that pushes the buttons that could potentially have effects company wide is the stressful part.

This is from second hand experience but I'd venture to say most junior level analysts or engineers whether in networking, sys admin or security have a pretty good role. It's challenging but having that senior and sometimes seniors ahead of you to help guide you makes it easier.

At least it was for me.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Great responses on handling stress now, and trying to mitigate it in the future.

Seek work life balance
    Keep staying educated, so you don't get stuck
    Become an expert in your role/field
    Management/micro-managers (luckily my management has been good so far)

I started the thread (perhaps venting) because I had to deal with an internal user with an antagonizing attitude. I've dealt with worse, but still it was no fun. I'm almost tempted to submit an anonymous online review on the user. I won't, but it's tempting. I think even customers should be held accountable for their actions. I would be called out or fired if I provided bad customer service.

I think all jobs will have some stress, as others stated. Therefore, my thought is if I'm going to get stressed, I might as well try to get paid well for it, and if I can get paid well for a low-stressed job, even better. Though, I've heard, the higher the pay, and they'll make you earn it.

I know as I specialize and move into roles that can be show stoppers for the company (such as if a network/internet is down) it can be stressful. Though, I think that brings back to the point of education, learning, and becoming experienced/an expert in the role to mitigate the stresses (such as is there a working backup circuit).
  • Options
    If you're having a bad day, check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiyMx7rDKAM

I'm glad I don't support external customers.
  • Options
    tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□

I can vouch for this. My first IT job had a horrible boss and crappy team members. I was always worried when I walked down in the door.

Fast forward 18 months with a new job, great boss, great team members and great internal clients....I love my gig.