Options

Career big change Need advices

KAEW 1KAEW 1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi every body,

I have the questions that feel not sure about my career changing. I was the teacher teach English as a foreign and second language in one of southeast Asia country. I am a native people from southeast Asia. I have a master degree in Education and teaching experience for 10 years. Now I moved to Canada and live here for almost 6 years. It is hard for immigrant to get a job in their field here. So I decided to change my career to work in the computer field. I went to the technical school in ottawa, most of the course materials are just watching the DVD on the computer and some hand on practices in a small lab with the teacher. I took A+, MCSE and CCNA. After I watched all the DVD about my courses. I was tired of teaching that ways. I went home and set a lab to practice in my house I have spent most of my time studying on it everyday after my kids go to school and my husband go to work. The learning resources that I taking now is the books, practice exams and talking to the experts on the internet. Last year I passed A+ and this year I want to pass at least MCP, 290,291,293 and 294. Do you think is that possible for me to do it within the end of this year. Please give me the advice. Now I'm doing very hard on MCP practice exam but feel not sure to take the test ,feel like I have many things to review before taking the exam. After I got A+ I tried to apply for a job, I sent 100 or more resume and got a couple of callings back to offere me a job to work at night time at a call centre. I have to take care my daughter and family at night time. The rest they said I have no experiences, they need 2-5 years experiences to work just for technician. I prefer working in the network for some schools or any educational institue because I am familiar with educational workplace. Please any body with any experiences help advice me.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    What certifcations do you have???? I am confused. It appears you took classes for A+, CCNA, MCSE. Did you write any of the exams?

It is hard to get a job with no experience and no certs, but I did. I live in Vancouver. I work for a small company that does IT work for small - medium sized companies. I make 50k /year (base) with only 1 year experience.

I will have my MCSA on Monday after my 70-284 exam and should have my MCSE by December.

Depending on your skills, why not teach a computer course at the local community center for "new canadians". I'm sure your language knowledge and technical interest will benefit you. That way you will also gain experience. Although it won't be exactly what an employer would benefit from, it still will make you look good.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    KAEW 1KAEW 1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much.

I have A+ certificate from Comptia. I took the exam last October.
    I love to teach young Canadian on Computer too but no one right now offer me a job. Even now I still apply for that position. The only thing I can do is just practicing alone in my lab at the house.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Call a community centre and see if you can arrange space to teach a course... You may need to bring a laptop/projector combination and your own supplies... Put up fliers to advertise well in advance.

Who knows, you may find people and make it a regular weekend thing.

A+ really isnt much certification for companies. Keep studying and write some more certs... Within a year you should be able to get atleast an MCSA
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?