Understanding CPE Requirements

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
As of today, I can officially say I'm a CISSP (Finally!)

My question is in regards to earning CPEs by watching webcasts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I can watch 40, 1 hour webcasts from SANS to satisfy the annual CPE requirements. If so, what about webcasts from Brighttalk? Is it only the ISC2 sponsored ones that count?

I know I can earn CPEs using other methods, but I'm already watching webcasts weekly, so if they count, might as well use them

Comments

• jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can count any webcats related to the domains, regardless of vendors. The nice thing about the ISC2 webcasts from Brighttalk is that your CPEs are updated automatically. I would keep track of any webcasts you watch in case of audit though.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are ISC2 webcasts from Brighttalk? Nice! Chances are I can use those for my ISACA certs as well. icon_cheers.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    jt2929 wrote: »
    You can count any webcats...

Hmm.. NO! icon_smile.gif
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There are ISC2 webcasts from Brighttalk? Nice! Chances are I can use those for my ISACA certs as well. icon_cheers.gif

What I like for both ISC2 and ISACA is that you can double dip for CPE credits. ISACA as a lot of ton of free webinars to get those credits up too.
  • csjohnngcsjohnng Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First Congras.
    2nd, beware of the CPE start date. (eg. I have became a CISSP member in April, but CPE clock ticking begin in May and some of my other exams and education in April and before May does not count).

Yes. Brighttalk count and automate submit your CPE provided that you have setup your Brighttalk account with your ISC2 membership number correctly.
    Webcasts from SANS also count, but I don't know if it's automatic (like the Brighttalk), and maybe you have to enter manually for the SANS.

There are many other ways to earn CPE, you can simple google, there are a lot of ways.
    I have obtained 46 CPE credit since May (good enough to satisfy the CISSP CPE annual requirement) , here is my major CPE contribution is from coming from:
    - Webcast (Brighttalk, ISC2 e-Symposium Webinar, ISC2 Security briefings).
    - infoSec professional magazine
    - Exam (by passing CSSP, which give me another 30 CPE).
    John
    MBA ,C|CISO, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, CISSP/ISSAP/ISSEP/ISSMP, CCSP, CSSLP, CASP+, Linux +, TOGAF 9; AWS Certified Security – Specialty, Amazon Web Services Solutions Architect Associate
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Hmm.. NO! icon_smile.gif

Bah, got me! Webcats...
  • NavisNavis Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First thing's first. MitM, congrats on that pass. :) Passed roughly 2 weeks ago myself so I'm keeping close tap on this topic. Thanks for creating it.
    csjohnng wrote: »
    - Exam (by passing CSSP, which give me another 30 CPE).

Do you mean CCSP? Certified Cloud Security Professional by ISC2? Thinking of tackling that next while waiting for endorsement process.

Does anyone know if CCSK count towards CPE credit also? Thinking of doing CCSP and CCSK and if it addes CPE Credit that's a huge bonus. :D
  • suber600suber600 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw a guide on Udemy that explain all about certifications renewal, you can search with keyword "cpe".
  • cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Apparently so. On the ISC2 forums I found a post by an ISC2 moderator citing:

"Members who have studied to obtain an additional professional certification and are awarded that certification can claim up to 30 CPE credits for the preparation or self-study work they did to achieve that certification. If the additional certification is related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group A credits. If the additional certification is not related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group B credits."

So... yay?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Yes, this is mentioned in the CPE Handbook.

"Self-study related to research for a project or preparing for a certification examination"

The misconception is that people claim passing the exam gives them the credit, when in fact you claim the time studying for it after you pass. Potato-potatoe, I know.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everybody! I had called ISC2 because I had another question. They confirmed what everyone is saying here.

@csjohnng - thanks, they mentioned that when I called. My cycle starts 9/1.

As far as earning CPEs for the preparation of a certification that you passed, it's not automatically 30 CPE, is it? If it took you 20 hours to study to pass a certification, wouldn't that be 20 CPE? Also, I need to renew my CCNP next year. If I pass the one exam to renew, does that count?
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MitM wrote: »
    As far as earning CPEs for the preparation of a certification that you passed, it's not automatically 30 CPE, is it? If it took you 20 hours to study to pass a certification, wouldn't that be 20 CPE? Also, I need to renew my CCNP next year. If I pass the one exam to renew, does that count?

I believe ISC2 has a limit towards how many hours you can claim for studying for a certification within a reasonable amount. Obviously the certification that you're studying for has to pertain to one of the relevant domains. If it's network security, you can claim CCNP: Security under your CPE credits.
    Does anyone know if you watch an ISC2 Security Briefing webinar, will the CPE automatically be added, even if you didn't attend live? I watched 4 of the webinars that happened within the past 2 - 3 days. I know it takes at least 5 days to be added, but I couldn't get a straight answer
  • laurieHlaurieH Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    By far the simplest way of satisfying the CPE requirement is to watch the webinars that are available via the ISC website (within members are). You don't need to watch them live and the CPE's are automatically credited (several days after). icon_wink.gif
    CCNA - expired
    CISSP - live n' kickin'
    My CISSP study apps
    My CISSP study advice blog
    cochi78 wrote: »
    Apparently so. On the ISC2 forums I found a post by an ISC2 moderator citing:

"Members who have studied to obtain an additional professional certification and are awarded that certification can claim up to 30 CPE credits for the preparation or self-study work they did to achieve that certification. If the additional certification is related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group A credits. If the additional certification is not related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group B credits."

So... yay?

If you watched, for example, the Linux Academy AWS Security Specialty course (10 hours), my understanding is, you can add 10 hours CPE credits for completing the course, without even taking the certification exam. If you then passed the certification exam, you can't add any additional CPE, correct?
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MitM wrote: »
    If you watched, for example, the Linux Academy AWS Security Specialty course (10 hours), my understanding is, you can add 10 hours CPE credits for completing the course, without even taking the certification exam. If you then passed the certification exam, you can't add any additional CPE, correct?

Exactly, CPE is awarded for learning time, not based on the exam written. 10h of e-learning give you 10 CPE. Type A if it is relevant to ISC2 CISSP Domain, or Type B if not related (example a Python course).
  • CyberCop123CyberCop123 Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Hmm.. NO! icon_smile.gif

I like webcats

My Aims
    2017: OSCP -
    COMPLETED
    2018: CISSP -
    COMPLETED
    2019: GIAC GNFA - Advanced Network Forensics & Threat Hunting -
    COMPLETED
               GIAC GREM - Reverse Engineering of Malware -
    COMPLETED

2021: CCSP
    2022: OSWE (hopefully)
    Exactly, CPE is awarded for learning time, not based on the exam written. 10h of e-learning give you 10 CPE. Type A if it is relevant to ISC2 CISSP Domain, or Type B if not related (example a Python course).

Makes sense. I think I get it. E-learning for AWS Solution Architect would be Type B, but AWS Security Specialty would be Type A. Likewise, e-learning for F5 LTM would be type B, but F5 ASM would be type A