Options

Where to start? Professionals, step on in.

akra86akra86 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ladies and gentlemen!
I'll start by first stating, please only personal, relevant and useful information would be preferred. Think of me as your
padawan.

My name is Alex, 26 years old, have always been a pretty avid gamer/techy/entry level tinkerer since a very young age. I can setup VMs, setup wireless networks, can get into a router, know what ports are, etc. Basic stuff.

I'm in the automotive industry now, very knowledgeable in the field but honestly not feeling it. Cyber Security has really grabbed my attention the last few months and I'm leaning towards a career in the IT sector, again preferably something to do with making sure companies are safe from invasions, finding exploits and correcting them, etc. I know money can be made here, and it's a rapidly growing field.

I have NO certs and no degree. Just a strong desire to learn and do something valuable with my life. I see this as the future and want to be successful. I am ultimately looking for advice as to where to start, regarding certs. I have no experience in the work force, just late night tinkering and learning on my own. I want to become legit. Please, any advice welcome.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I remember being well into a career path in the energy/utility industry and not feeling it. The way I got out of there was:

1) Found a way for someone else to pay for an IT degree
    2) CompTIA A+. Not much ROI, but it got me on the map and studying for felt like the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. Gateway drug cert afterwards.
    3) I was okay with starting over for a little while career-wise (with a large pay cut). For me it was service desk/help desk type tech support for the first few months until greener pastures presented themselves.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    akra86 wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen!
    I'll start by first stating, please only personal, relevant and useful information would be preferred. Think of me as your
    padawan.

My name is Alex, 26 years old, have always been a pretty avid gamer/techy/entry level tinkerer since a very young age. I can setup VMs, setup wireless networks, can get into a router, know what ports are, etc. Basic stuff.

I'm in the automotive industry now, very knowledgeable in the field but honestly not feeling it. Cyber Security has really grabbed my attention the last few months and I'm leaning towards a career in the IT sector, again preferably something to do with making sure companies are safe from invasions, finding exploits and correcting them, etc. I know money can be made here, and it's a rapidly growing field.

I have NO certs and no degree. Just a strong desire to learn and do something valuable with my life. I see this as the future and want to be successful. I am ultimately looking for advice as to where to start, regarding certs. I have no experience in the work force, just late night tinkering and learning on my own. I want to become legit. Please, any advice welcome.

Thank you!

I suggest studying for the Security+ cert first. If you are very knowledgeable in tech, you can skip the A+ cert and go straight for Security+, which I consider the first step into cybersecurity.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It depends on what you like.

Sounds like you a comfortable with SOHO networking.

Maybe the CCENT or CCNA Cyber Ops? I'm not a big fan of the CompTIA's exams, I never received much return from them........
  • Options
    SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As someone starting from zero, I would take a look at the following resources:

Exam 98-367: MTA Security Fundamentals

MTA Security Fundamentals Training Video:
    https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/security-fundamentals-8283?l=pinxx9Wy_5604984382

This would be the first certification I would recommend to someone coming in at entry level.

People might say that this certification is "too basic", but you can get Microsoft name recognition by passing this. Having the ability saying that you're certified by Microsoft is a feather in your hat.

After you bang out the MTA, I would look into CompTIA Security+: https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/security

Professor Messer has free training resources on YouTube, which can help you pass the exam.
    https://www.professormesser.com/security-plus/sy0-401/sy0-401-course-index/
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would not say to go strait for Security+. To secure something you need to know how it works.

Personally I started with the CompTIA tri in this order > A+, Sec+, Net+. Then MCSA:7 > CCENT > CCNA > CCNP.

However, if you really really like the idea of cyber security:

MTA Security Fundamentals
    Network+
    CCENT
    ____________________________ at this point you should be fairly employable and avidly looking for an entry level job.
    CCNA R&S
    ____________________________ now you are looking to move into a NOC or a network role
    CCNA Cyber Ops
    ____________________________ now you are on the prowl for your first cyber security role

By that point in your professional career and development you will know your interests and directions and have no problem discovering the next steps.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Thanks ALOT for the input guys. I highly appreciate the responsiveness. I'm actually as we speak listening to the video on MTA security fundamentals.
    I'm getting more and more interested as the days go on, the only issue I have is I beat myself up, hard. No degree, no certs, and then when you want to get a cert and take the exam, you have to have "x" amount of experience. It's stressful, that's why I posted here!
  • Options
    It won't let me edit my previous post, so I'll add something with this one. If I wanted to be even more general than I already have been, and say I dont necessarily want to get into the security sector and just wanted to get a cert (or multiple) to be more appealing in my job search, which would be first?

Looks like the MTA exam is important. CompTIA A+ also seems important. Any other good ones for the basics?

Thanks again, just exploring options and absorbing all of the information you have all given me.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It won't let me edit my previous post, so I'll add something with this one. If I wanted to be even more general than I already have been, and say I dont necessarily want to get into the security sector and just wanted to get a cert (or multiple) to be more appealing in my job search, which would be first?

Looks like the MTA exam is important. CompTIA A+ also seems important. Any other good ones for the basics?

Thanks again, just exploring options and absorbing all of the information you have all given me.

You would probably want to try to get your Comptia fundamentals exam. This exam is more basic than the A+, or the Micoscoft MCP. employers typically do not request this cer, but it could help you understand the basics.

ITProTV - Getting Started with CompTIA IT Fundamentals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=g6wXLE5YKlA

Landing your First Tech Job – Without a Tech Degree Part 1

https://blog.itpro.tv/landing-your-first-tech-job-without-a-tech-degree/

Landing your First Tech Job – Without a Tech Degree Part 2
    https://blog.itpro.tv/landing-your-first-tech-job-without-a-tech-degree-part-2/

I hope this helps, good luck!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just remember nobody was ever born with experience. Every single person that has a job had to gain it at some point.

I'm not sure why you are walking back from security as a goal but if you just want your first entry level job to get into IT then I would start with A+. This is entry level and can get you in the door but your experience and additional certs are going to be more important to move towards a specialty. I don't have security experience but I often hear that you need to know how something works before you can secure it.

Since you are new to certs I will add one more thing. Most people fail at certs because they never finish studying the material and get discouraged. Don't stop at chapter 3 because it seems dull or overwhelming. Finish the entire book or video series at least once.
  • Options
    The only reason I would start steering towards general IT is to get my foot in the door, while I am still studying. I may even stay in the Automotive industry for now while I study, I just want to see results. I dont want to put all of my extra time into something, and just see it go to waste. Not saying it will, just looking at all avenues for my future
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    akra86...I think you are correct in wanting to establish a base before diving into the cybersecurity realm full-tilt. The A+, Network+, Security+ trio is very foundational (though not easy) and will expose you to a lot of IT concepts. The nice thing about that is that you might find your niche because of them. They cover networking, virtualization, security, hardware, software...just about everything except for databases and programming (which, surprisingly enough, the IT Fundamentals+ exam covers). Knowing the technology before jumping into cyber allows you to better understand how someone might be able to attack your network.

After that trio, I would also recommend an ITIL Foundation exam and then focus on CCNA if you like networking, MCSA: Server 201x if you like systems, and Amazon/Microsoft for cloud. Not that you go down each path but that you pick a specialization. A lot of employers are looking for candidates that have more than just security certs (at least it seems to be the case here in Denver), so having the specialization, though time and resource consuming, can be a good, safe bet.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Such excellent posts. Everyone has been extremely helpful, I actually FEEL I have direction. Amazing.
    As of now, I've been listening to professormessors videos on the A+ cert. I've come to the conclusion that will be my first step, as well as the MTA fundamentals exam.
  • Options
    Sorry, compTIA IT fundamentals - add that to the priority list as well. Looks pretty important for a guy like me. Lol.
  • Options
    ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Without any work experience in IT, you'll most likely have to start from help desk and then move into whatever field you want to pursue after help desk. Some might say that since you're already a technical person, you can probably skip A+; however, it might be difficult to find your first entry-level IT job without a degree or cert so A+ would help you with that.

Work on help desk for about a year to get a better feel of what you want to specialize in, then focus on the certification for that path.

And definitely, IT is one of those industries where its possible for a person to make doctor pay.
    2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course
  • Options
    I have tried to get into a help desk position and even wrote cover letters showing high interest, but nobody has touched me because my resume is mostly Automotive and no certs/obvious IT experience. Anywhere in particular youd recommend looking for an entry level gig?
  • Options
    Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have tried to get into a help desk position and even wrote cover letters showing high interest, but nobody has touched me because my resume is mostly Automotive and no certs/obvious IT experience. Anywhere in particular youd recommend looking for an entry level gig?

Most metro/population centers are chock full of entry level/help desk positions, HOWEVER you have to show initiative by getting certified. I left a strict telecom shop and my NT4 Wks/Srv/Enterprise certs were a passport to IT. Although it was Y2K and companies were desperate as they hired a few cab drivers and an ex hacker (fed conviction). Get the certs.