How much Powershell is in the 70-740 exam?

Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 WizardPosts: 783Mod Mod
I know Powershell has started becoming a big requirement in recent MS exams, but how much do I need to know for the 70-740 exam?

I've been following through the CBTNuggets training videos by Garth Schulte and he's been using it a lot throughout the course. I've just finished his videos on Containers but during the whole process he only used Powershell. He didn't demonstrate through a graphical sense.

I can use Powershell to some degree, but I'm frantically writing down load of Powershell commands and trying to practice them myself. Am I really expected to remember all of these? From someone who's done the exam or currently studying for it, did you find that a lot of the Powershell content from CBTNuggets reflected in the exam?
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Senior Member UKPosts: 400Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the same videos for my 70-740 exam last year, the Powershell cmdlets did match some I saw in the exam but there were many more but because I learnt only the basics Powershell cmdlets for that exam I recognised what I saw. Still got me a pass of 770.

I am in the process of doing my final MS exam (70-744) and with MS moving forward with Powershell my rule has always been only learn the basics, don't go in-depth otherwise you wont remember it all. This is probably the reason why MS has never made an dedicated Powershell exam.

If you learn the basics and you come across a Powershell question you are not familiar with, you can still figure it out, even with guessing.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP

• Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 783Mod Mod
    I was expecting to see you here malachi :).

Thanks for that. I only want to focus on the basics as I won't remember it all if I go in depth too much. I don't use Powershell much in my environment so for me it's not a huge requirement. If I watch a video from CBT Nuggets that only uses Powershell for a certain subject, I also like to look at it from a GUI aspect (if it's available) so I have to keep jumping over to another source now and again (which I guess isn't too bad).

How long did it take you to study for the 740 exam? I've given myself until the end of the year to get this one under my belt.
    There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
    I did my 70-740 in 4 months, I never heard of Powershell until I started doing these exams as I never use it my job. Doubt I will use it in my next job either :D

I be swapping places with you in a few months as I be starting Sec+ once this current exam is done.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP

Good to know. Good luck with your Sec+ studies :)
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Posts: 1,713Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    I took the 70-740 in July. While I would not say it focused mostly on Powershell I can say that it did not focus on the GUI at all. If you are studying I suggest setting up windows Core machines as this will help you practice. I did not do enough of this myself so I struggled on the test. I did pass but with a low 700s score.

To be fair I really struggled with containers which I had not labbed before taking the exam. I think 3-4 months is a very reasonable amount of time to study. I tried for 1-2 hrs a day whenever possible but often took a few days off when I needed a break.
    Thanks for the tip Jon, I haven't spent a lot of time labbing on Core yet so this might be an area I need to focus more on.
    Containers was the lowest I scored on, its one of those technologies which is always changing like Azure so its difficult to study for.
    Certifications:

• PseudonymPseudonym A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I Posts: 338Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't sat this exam, but from experience of other exams I would advise learning to do everything in both GUI & powershell. Just having that basic undersrtanding of how CMDlets/scripts look, where & how they're used will probably help you. I've been hit with cmdlets I've never seen before in exams, and just using powershell a lot gave me enough knowledge to rule out the incorrect options. You get used to using it too after labbing it for a bit.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE