Passed CompTIA Sec+ SYO-501 today

dinkz210dinkz210 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took the SYO-501 today and passed with an 816. Throughout the whole test i was sure i failed, i flagged about 30 questions i was not 100% sure of. So my background is not IT. I am currently active duty Army undergoing a medical retirment after nearly 16 years in the service. 10 years as a medic and 6 as a nurse. I just cant see myself in the healthcare field anymore so i decided while i await my MEB i take as many IT certifications to see if i can get and entry level help desk job and pursue a degree in IT once my Family and I get settled back home in San Antonio, TX. Unfortunately I am sure I will be taking a giant pay cut.... Anyhow below is what i did to prepare if anyone is interested:

Read Darrril Gibson 501 Book and took all test within book
Purchased his premium content online and took all those test as well as reread those sections on questions i missed
Purchased his $8 app for questions as well
Watched all professor messer videos
Watched all Lynda course videos(free for military through linkedin)
Watched all CBT nuggets videow during 7 day free trial
Already has purchased Cybrary insider pro for one month so did those labs and the Kaplan Transcender questions
Friend shared with me his 401 professor messer notes which i reviewed one hour before test
Took as man practice test as i could find free such as exam compass and go certify.

Also i think it helped that i took the CompTIA A+ fairly recently. It gave me the basics i didnt know and also there was some of the same content in both test. Studied June took first test begining July, studied july took second test August. Passed, then started studyinh for Sec plus mid August.

About to start studying for 70-698 and 70-697 for MCSA. Anyonr have any tips?
Thanks.
Also il n job leads out there? Should be out Army and back in Texas by January 2019 lol.... doesnt hurt to ask.

Comments

• heezyhuynh404heezyhuynh404 Registered Users Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey man, congratz on passing, I just completed the gibson book, I’m going to reciew more chapters, especially risk management and encryption. I am also in the army, I’m currently deployed here in Iraq serving as a information management officer, I work with IT contractors out here, the pay for them is great, I would highly look into it if you ever wanna come back to the dust land lol, best of luck to your future certs
  • dinkz210dinkz210 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heezy,
    Thanks for the reply. Honestly I would love to do IT downrange. My last deployment was too Afghanistan with USASOC and their IT guys had it great. What Contracting agency are they with? I am actually interning with 30th Signal Battalion as we speak trying to get some hands on experience. Send a shout out to those guys for me and i will be happy to drop them my resume lol. That book is a really great resource and so are all his practice questions. You being an IMO should be able to get funding for training as well, loon into it if you havent already. Stay safe out there and good luck on test.

EJ
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing!!! I hope i can say the same in Dec/Jan!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • nicoletteannicolettean Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    2018 Goals - AWS Certified Solutions Architect

Linkedin Profile : https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-nicolette-454721109/
  • phariuspharius Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□