Options

help setting up cisco lab

vicbersongvicbersong Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guyz, im presently studying for my ccna. i want to set up a lab at home and would rally need an idea of what and waht i need to buy having considerable cost and of course efficincy in mind. is it possible to spend just a little bit above 100 pounds for all i need, including routers and switches...pls guyz i'll need ur views thank you! oh and please where can i get the lab kits. tnx

Comments

• Options
    twiggy87twiggy87 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ebay.co.uk!!

I bought mine on ebay, cost me about +/- £300 for my setup which is:

2 x 2500
    2 x 1600
    2 x 1900
    ISDN simulator

Thats excluding cables, postage and transceivers. I'd say £100's a bit low for a lab purchase but it really depends what you want in your lab. I bought mine whilst on a visit to the uk and I can honestly say that the labs are so much cheaper your side, so dont hesitate, it's money very well spent icon_smile.gif

Good luck
    If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.
  • Options
    chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
    Ma, Can they deliver to midlle east I am in Qatar near dubai Iwant to purchase
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Sorry to steal the thread but,

Just a quick question, how do you manage to connect the 2501 routers to a lan interface?

I have one 2501 and another 2501 + 20port hub built in?

The hub one is pretty straight forward, but what about the regular 2501 ? What interface do I use? Is there a serial -> ethernet cable?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Never seen a 2501 with a 20 port hub built in must be old. I have seen the following, 8 (Cisco 2505), 14 (Cisco 2516), or 16 (Cisco 2507) Ethernet 10BaseT hub ports built in. My rack has a pair of 2516's hooked to a ISDN simulator.

On your 2501 you connect it via the ethernet port which is labled AUI. AUI was the original type connector and it was also found on NIC's in the PC itself. If you want to hook to a different type a media then you need a media converter called a tranceiver. Two types are commonly still available, one for thinnet coax and one for RJ45. Generally you can find them under twenty dollars U.S. on ebay and often under ten. The most popular one is the CentreCom AT-210T AUI to TP Ethernet Transceiver made by Allied Telesys. Search ebay using "ethernet transceiver" and you will run across several sellers.

Oh here is a useful bookmark for the 25xx series if it is still live

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a008014b47b.html
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO