Masters Program Question

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
I know the decision is ultimately up to me, but just wanted to get a couple opinions...

I am considering going to grad school. I am conflicted between UMUC and WGU. I like the UMUC Program in Cybersecurity and if I take two more classes I would be able to get a second Masters in Digital Forensics. Though I like the idea of possibly being able to finish WGU in hopefully a year. Do you think it would be a better idea to do WGU finish faster (UMUC would take about 2.5 years) and then maybe take some Forensic Certifications instead?

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UMUC will be a lot more expensive.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unless they are two completely different disciplines, I personally don't think having two Masters is going to do much for you. The only reason I did two is because one is technical, and the other is business. I would more look at the actual coursework, and the accreditation of each school as well. I personally enjoyed all my WGU courses. I have no knowledge of UMUC, and haven't heard any feedback.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    UMUC will be a lot more expensive.

true that is a big factor as well that I forgot to mention.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Will the more expensive degree provide a higher salary? Are there any job postings out there where they ask for more than one master's degree?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The point of the second degree would be just to learn more about Forensics that it’s just two more classes to get it. Not so much about hvn two Masters.
  • SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I graduated with UMUC with a Grad Cert in Digital Forensics. They have this weird attitude where you can never do 100% work and there is always room for improvement. I've had to harass professors with a grade dispute over papers, and they've magically changed from 80% to ~92%.

When they require a 3.0 Culminative GPA and they're only awarding B's on assignments, that's a problem.

Their customer support has more to be desired as well. Call 3 times with the same question and you'll get 3 different answers.

Their labs are state-of-the-art though. Helix Live Boot CD, Adepto, EnCase, and Cisco VPN software are some of the tools you can expect to work with.

Plus their school is designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance and Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.