Options

Need job opportunity help...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I have applied to numerous companies within the past 3 weeks. I would say atleast 25. I had an interview with a big banking company and they wanted to hire me, but due to my driving record I was denied. I have a reckless driving, however it was 3 years ago, and I currently have 0 points against my license.

I have 3 years experience with a BIG ISP company up here as a Internet Technician, Internet Technician II, and a Network Analyst.

I have atleast 3 years experience with sub contract work dealing with Windows Server/Desktop platforms, TS, DHCP, DNS, Etc etc. I host my own DNS servers, Webpages, TS servers etc...

I have been in the electrical field for 3 years and I am looking at getting back into computers. I have been technically out of the field for 3 years. Though I have kept up to date with doing subcontract work for my dads company. I also have just recently taken my MCDST tests and I am now looking to obtain my MCSA.

Any helpful hints for those of you out there? I feel as though I am above average compared to most students and or computer technicians. I am great at multitasking and have always had great reviews by my supervisors.

Comments

• Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Do you have any criminal records for driving recklessly? That's the only way your poor driving from 3 yrs ago would affect your hiring.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    I was accused of a DUI and leaving the scene of an accident. But they of course didnt have any evidence for this accusasion. So I was charged with a Reckless Driving. I was going faster than the speed limit around a corner and my tire hit the curb. Caused my car to go into a full spin.

Anyhow, I just got offered a job for 38k a year, but 0 bennies.

They are a small company. They want me to take over all the projects that they have been outsourcing. Such as installing networks, installing desktops, cable install, router device installs and troubleshoot/upgrade everything as needed, while installing Point of Sale equipment and upgrading them.

Should I tell this employer that is going to hire me about my past driving record? Or is it their loss they didnt look into it? Like I said, I have 0 points against me and insurance only looks back 3 years.
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Heck No! Do not volunteer anything you are not asked. But tell the truth if you are asked. And I would only offer up what is only recored on the record. Somethings are nobody's business.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does this job involve driving other than to and from work? If not, I wouldn't bother saying anything unless asked :)
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)
  • Options
    This job requires driving to job sites daily. So yes, I would be driving all the time with this company.
  • Options
    I go in today to finalize the deal. $18.35hr. Not a bad hourly wage, but I defiantly am hoping for more come next year.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats TechJunky! New jobs are always exciting and scary at the same time.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks. I start tomorrow with installing some new 2003 servers and setting up AD and roaming profiles. What a way to start the first day. I can hardly wait.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    this is freaking frustrating I can't seems to get a job in IT, why is it so hard to get into IT so I can get experience ARRGH!!!!! god help me
  • Options
    If you dont have any experience I would HIGHLY suggest getting a degree. I was fortunate enough to get a LOW paying internship at an ISP and work my way up the ladder really quickly. Starting pay was $8.00 an hour. I was making 16.10hr when I left and had a Network Analyst title to fall back on with the number one ISP in my state. If I wouldnt have moved up so quickly I would have defiantly gone to school and got myself a bachlors degree. I now have 6 years experience and a few certifications to show for it. I landed this administrator position and think I will stick with it. I believe there is a lot of growth to be had. I feel your job is what you make it. I am actually going to go back and get my associates if this job will allow me... The job sometimes requires a lot of hours and may interfere with schooling. You can never go wrong with education. I hope to have my MCSA by the end of the summer... Just keep busting out the certs.

Most employers will say....

Everyone has a CCNA, MCP, A+, N+ etc. It's the experience they are lacking. Certfications will atleast get you an interview, after that its all up to you.

I have quite a big pull on the computer industry up here in Alaska though. All my friends are either network Administrators, or Network Engineers. I kept with the right study group/friends and made the best of it. So my references defiantly helped.
  • Options
    fredgt18fredgt18 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now that you guys have mentioned DUI or other criminal records. Does anybody know if this also applies to school record?
    I mean if I have some bad record in school police but nothing big like DUI, misdemeanor or other major charges. NEvertheless it was on my School Police record that I was supposely "Stalking" a former GF which is all B.S. by the way.

Does anyone know if this also shows up on criminal records or is it just school info. If so, can employers seek this kind of info from the school.

Another thing is, will they also check other stuff like academic integrity such as cheating and so on. I know, Im just wondering

Please give some advice about this guys. Thanks.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    fredgt18 wrote:
    Now that you guys have mentioned DUI or other criminal records. Does anybody know if this also applies to school record?
    I mean if I have some bad record in school police but nothing big like DUI, misdemeanor or other major charges. NEvertheless it was on my School Police record that I was supposely "Stalking" a former GF which is all B.S. by the way.

Does anyone know if this also shows up on criminal records or is it just school info. If so, can employers seek this kind of info from the school.

Another thing is, will they also check other stuff like academic integrity such as cheating and so on. I know, Im just wondering

Please give some advice about this guys. Thanks.

When I was in high school in NY, if students got into a fight they were arrested by real cops. I don't know if your school did the same. If you got in trouble several times and arrested by police several times, then you might have a record. other than that, I don't think you should be scared.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    "When I was in high school in NY, if students got into a fight they were arrested by real cops. I don't know if your school did the same. If you got in trouble several times and arrested by police several times, then you might have a record. other than that, I don't think you should be scared."

Well, I dont mean High School, I mean College. And they seem pretty serious about it. So far I have not have much luck getting a good job, I wonder if this was the case. Regardless, thanks for you help.
  • Options
    BTW, to answer your question, no there were no cops involved or any arrest. But it was the University Police. I dont know if this involves real police or just simply a campus police guard. I honestly dont know the difference.
  • Options
    CalRoDCalRoD Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, just consider yourself lucky they didnt actully do a detailed background check. Honestly, it seems like you are worrying a bit too much about your past. It is the past and you cannot change it so just put in behind you. If anything does come up, I would just state that I was young and immature back then and I have learned from my mistakes. Just overshadow it with how hard you worked to accomplish your goals in your career, certifications etc... and how much you have changed since then. I think they will be impressed and proud of you, and wont judge you too hard. Afterall, you are already hired right?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    fredgt18 wrote:
    BTW, to answer your question, no there were no cops involved or any arrest. But it was the University Police. I dont know if this involves real police or just simply a campus police guard. I honestly dont know the difference.

Try asking the local authorities in the city/county where the school resides.
  • Options
    "In my opinion, just consider yourself lucky they didnt actully do a detailed background check. Honestly, it seems like you are worrying a bit too much about your past. It is the past and you cannot change it so just put in behind you. If anything does come up, I would just state that I was young and immature back then and I have learned from my mistakes. Just overshadow it with how hard you worked to accomplish your goals in your career, certifications etc... and how much you have changed since then. I think they will be impressed and proud of you, and wont judge you too hard. Afterall, you are already hired right? "

Yeah you do have a point, but I'm not sure if employers will buy that. I guess its just a matter of time. As for the job I have right now, yes I am employed although I would not say its high end job but atleast its related with network. The problem is, I got this job through network rather than the usual interview/background check kinda thing. Regardless, Im making the most out of it. Cheers.
  • Options
    pjam76pjam76 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many jobs do simple background checks before they ever get to the hardcore tech interviews.

If you're getting interviewed i wouldn't worry much about things in your past hurting you... They probably aren't.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I wouldn't worry too much about the past. If there are some bad spots on your record for bad driving or bad. . . eh. . . everything else, you can't let it stop you. As long as you're moving forward, trying to put all that behind you and work towards something better, all you can do is keep at it. If companies require background checks, just let them do the checks, let them find whatever they find, and take it as it comes. If asked, tell the truth, and make sure you let them know that things are different now. It's all you can really do, and letting past mistakes get to you to such a degree that you worry even before you have gone to an interview or sent in a resume isn't going to help your situation.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we are." - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.