Overwhelmed.

coextendingcoextending Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi I am new to TechExams. I don't know if this is how I am supposed to do this, but oh well, why not give it a shot and see what happens.
I have been studying for the Network+ certification for about 3 months in terms of knowledge gained. I have taken practice tests for 005/006 and did significantly well... with a few exceptions. I tend to only miss questions on material I have yet to learn. If I have seen the material before, I can usually parse the question and find the answer. I also have downloaded a copy of the N007 objectives. I however do not own a 007 book. I have the 006 book. I should be getting the 007 book soon. I also have been using TestOut and ProfessorMessor. I have purchased his course notes. My question is how to go about learning each objective, there just seems to be resource upon resource of information for even just "simple" terms. (Like for example, I read RFCs and I'm just like... well dang even more stuff I don't know.)

How would I go about breaking down each part of each objective? I am using ProfessorMessor exam objective document as a point of reference, to check off what I have learned and what I need to study.
Thanks for the help!

Comments

• 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stay calm and go slow.

Don't worry if you don't understand all of it right away. Read and take notes at a comfortable pace. If you come across something you don't know or the book does not explain well enough for you, mark it in the book or on your note pad.

When I was studying CompTIA's here is how I did it:

1.Read the whole book cover to cover, take notes, but not too detailed. Highlight important or surprising information as you go (I used yellow).
    2. Go back and take any pre / post chapter tests. Look at the questions you missed. Now highlight those areas in another color (I used orange, or just an orange check over it if it already has yellow on it, don't want to blend colors, messes up the text). Take notes on the questions you missed.
    3. Flash cards / test engines that come with the book or their online counterpart. Look up any questions you get wrong, review notes for accuracy.
    4. Lab (if applicable)
    5. Blend of labs, flash cards, test engines.
    6. Print exam objectives. Look over them with a pencil and any of them you cannot query your brain for information about, go back and read it again.

I did that for all 3 of the Trio. Each one took 3 months to get through in that format. Passed each test on the first try. I'm not saying its the only way, or most efficient way, but it is thorough. The most important thing is to have a plan and remind yourself that you just have to work though the content.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Quit looking for resources about topics... Of course that will be a never ending tunnel. Stick to the 006/007 books and you'll be fine. Don't over think it
  • cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What are you currently doing for work or what do you want to be doing? If you want to do something in the realm of networking, I would suggest putting together a lab so you can apply what you're learning so it makes more sense as you're reading it and studying. If you want to get your CCNA next, download GNS3 or VIRL and mess around with simple commands.
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quit looking for resources about topics... Of course that will be a never ending tunnel. Stick to the 006/007 books and you'll be fine. Don't over think it

I agree. Stick to study materials.

If it helps, my method for CompTIA exams has generally been to read at least two books specific to the certification. Network+ should have several options. In my case I read the books cover to cover first, and highlight in one color (say yellow for example). Then I read through the books a second time, but usually just read the parts I highlighted in the first read-through and those items I'm struggling with or haven't committed to memory I highlight in a second color (usually blue or green for a stark difference). I also dog ear pages with charts, tables, or specifics that I need to review, particularly just before the exam. On that second read through I usually start taking practice exams.

The day of the exam I usually have flipping to the dog eared pages only just before the test. This method has worked for probably 18 CompTIA exams (I have CompTIA certs that have long since retired).
  • coextendingcoextending Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cabowabo wrote: »
    What are you currently doing for work or what do you want to be doing? If you want to do something in the realm of networking, I would suggest putting together a lab so you can apply what you're learning so it makes more sense as you're reading it and studying. If you want to get your CCNA next, download GNS3 or VIRL and mess around with simple commands.

I have to earn my Network+ to be eligible for schooling (free advanced schooling) for MCSA.
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I almost wrecked myself by focusing too much on the objectives. If you follow any of the good study materials (Myers Net+, Professor Messor, udemy, CBT Nuggets, etc), they will guide you through the information you need to know.

My biggest recommendation is to relax and not let yourself become obsessed with any part of this exam. That will cause more harm than good. This comes from experience ;)
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+