Options

How did you get into IT?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Navy recruiter said "You're probably good with computers aren't ya" in a thick Boston accent, then I signed a bunch of papers.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I did a 5 years long degree in electrical & computer engineering fresh out of high school like an idiot, wish I'd done something else
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Not sure about UK, but in Australia, there is something called "grad program", where people fresh out of uni can apply, and they spend a year in rotation in different departments in the company, and by the end of it they get job. It's a great way to give fresh grads a paid experience and a job guarantee by the end of it

paul78 wrote: »
    I'm curious about the various folks that mentioned IT apprenticeships. I wasn't familiar with it and from what I've read around so far - it looks like a great concept for people to start. Is this a common method in the UK? And are there other folks here in other countries that started in IT through apprenticeships? The apprenticeship model looks to be a lot more structured than the internship concepts in the US.

This has been an interesting thread to read.

• Options
    Domm362 wrote: »
    I went to college for music education and after student teaching and subbing for a couple of years I realized that I really didn't like it at all...

Did you work at Equifax??

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Did you work at Equifax??

I think they only have bachelors, not a masters. Only way you can qualify for CISO
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first computer I purchased, used, broke several months in. Prior to my purchase I had read Computer Shopper ads quite extensively, as I was looking at building a computer at that time. Due to my rather limited knowledge of the parts that went into computers, I was able to troubleshoot the issue, buy a replacement part, install it, and it worked. Thus was a budding computer gamer turned to the dark side of IT. Naturally, it took me quite a few years (15) before I made my passion into my career.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    dspohnholtzdspohnholtz Registered Users Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Joined the Navy as an electronics intelligence analyst and worked in the drone programs after getting out. Found out that the IT guys got better pay, benifits and hours. Sat my Security+ exam and landed my first IT job as a Desktop Support Supervisor for the Air Force. 
  • Options
    ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started out with an entry-level office job at a mortgage company making somewhere around $12/hr. After 2.5 years here, I decided to pursue a career in IT. After submitting my resume to several websites, I got a call from a small MSP. I had zero IT experience at the time, but I got the job because I was familiar with the mortgage industry, which was the company's core business clientele.
    2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course