Options

Failed 501 today

SpaceGhostalSpaceGhostal Member Posts: 10 ■■□□□□□□□□
Today was my first attempt at the 501 exam and scored way low. Not sure what happened. I have been studying since August. The resources used was the Gibson book, Professor Messer's VIDS, and tons of other online resources. I felt real good while taking it and it seemed like I was doing very well. I even knew everything on the labs. Not sure what where to start with studying again.

Comments

• Options
    Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry about the fail. Tough lesson + $300 , but you have to pick up and keep going. I would add practice tests like Boson to the studies. Make sure that you understand the question as I see some may be deliberately worded in a confusing manner. Last test I took I had to read the first question 10 times before it started to make sense. The Boson engine will test you in this manner to keep you honest. Your brain might skim over the entire question, picking out key words but might miss a tricky double negation.
  • Options
    RobertSantiRobertSanti Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also took the Sec+ 501, Got a 698. It is a hard test. I have been studying since August Prof Mess Vid's, Udemy's Mike Myers practice test and only 10% relevance from test. Bummed, first time I took the Sec+ 501 test I got e 392, big improvement from last time but still bummed.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Use Darril Gibson's online resources! A godsend! Good luck!! icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Yes I did and incorporated it into my study plan.
  • Options
    PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes I did and incorporated it into my study plan.

Do you have any other certifications? You can take the Sec+ without taking the A+ and Net+ first, but if you scored really low, I'd suggest maybe trying those first. Security+ assumes you already took the other 2 and may ask questions that aren't really included in your Sec+ study material.

The most important is the objectives. So line by line and ask yourself if you know and understand each of them. Failing sucks so I know how frustrating it can be, but don't give up. I'm sure almost everyone has failed an exam at some point. I failed Net+ twice. Only passed it the 3rd time with 10 points to spare and I failed ITIL the first time I took it by 1 point.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • Options
    D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try your luck with a few practice questions. I always do this to see what level I'm at and what I need to improve before the big day.

Start with the ExamCompass ones. They are free and simple. There's not a lot of detail in them and don't give you detailed responses but it will get your brain working by answering Security related topics. Make notes on the questions you failed on and work on them.

https://www.examcompass.com/comptia/security-plus-certification/free-security-plus-practice-tests

After that give the MeasureUp ones a try. MeasureUp in my opinion is the best practice test vendor out there. You have to pay for them but what you get out of it is worth more than the cost. You get detailed responses to correct and incorrect answers and the difficulty of the exams is at the same level of the real exam, if not harder. If you're scoring high on those the real exam will be a piece of cake.

https://www.measureup.com/

+100000000
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Options
    I have the A+ and Network + certs. Is there a better place to get the exam vouchers than Comptia store? Their prices are insane and you are required to buy the bundle now if you want the re-take.
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Options
    rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril Gibson's practice test and audio files helped me tremendously.
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Options
    ITStudent1ITStudent1 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited January 2019
    Probably already been posted.
    As long as you have a valid .edu email address you get a discount if you're a student https://academic-store.comptia.org/
    Earned - A+ | Security+ | ITIL-F
    Goals 2019 - Network+ , MCSA Server2016
  • Options
    annamaeannamae Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always tell me students at least you attempted the exam and know what to expect. I print this list out and hand to my students. Its a list of acronyms that I think help the students since I know the acronyms can get a little confusing with so many. 
  • Options
    Dayday15Dayday15 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Message me ASAP if you plan to retake the exam 
  • Options
    I forgot to tell everyone. I passed the exam. It was not easy but studied my tail off. 
  • Options
    themanwholaughsthemanwholaughs Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For studying the exams. Make a lab where you can test IDS and IPS systems also try and use the tools listed in the books etc.
  • Options
    boysweetpotatoboysweetpotato Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□

Hi guys,

has anybody tried to use the exam vouchers? are they legit? 

If ever i will be using their voucher my exam fee will be almost trimmed down to half

any feedback from you guys is much appreciated. 

Thanks!
  • Options
    craig009craig009 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dayday15 said:
    Message me ASAP if you plan to retake the exam 
    this is my 3rd  time and my next exam is August .I have tried various resources .Is there any advice again 

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend going to the IT Dojo YouTube channel.  He has some great content.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I passed it by the way. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    boysweetpotatoboysweetpotato Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed it by the way. Thanks for the info!
    Hello, may I ask what specific adjustments you did before retaking the exam and passing this time around?

Thanks,