Options

Cybersecurity Masters program that I can transfers certs to?

H-bombH-bomb Member Posts: 129 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Here’s my current situation. I’m graduating with my bachelor’s in information systems security in eight weeks. I’m looking for a cyber security masters program that I can transfer my IT certifications over to minimize the cost and length of the program. I have CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CISA, CASP, CCSP, etc. WGU was my first consideration, but they only accept EC Council certs. I’ve also looked at Purdue and Capella, but I wasn’t impressed with the transfer credit equivalencies. Can you all provide some recommendations? :)

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I looked at a bunch before but it was a few years ago and only found (IIRC) UMUC took the CISSP but that's it. Overall it seemed not at all worth it to pick a master's program only based on the idea that they might wipe out one class.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LOL at WGU only accepting EC Council certs. Takes them down a notch IMO. wonder if they have a deal with them or something?
  • Options
    nevermorenevermore Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree that it is probably not worth selecting programs based on the fact that they are going wipe out a single class. I think it is better to evaluate your long-term goals and target programs that the paper you are obtaining carries some weight to allow you to be meet your goals.

I do understand that some are self-paying for their degrees which may contribute to the decision. Suggest you weigh the amount of money you will save versus your goals. While yes, one less class is some number less weeks of time a few months is not that long.

I completed my B.S. at UMUC and the program there was decent. Can not directly account for the M.S. program at UMUC though I know a couple of folks who recently graduated or are currently attending and they have positive words about it. I am currently pursuing a M.S. at Norwich. One class in, so far I am very happy with my decision.
    Obtained:
    • CISSP/ISSAP/ISSMP, CISM, GISP, CEH
    • M.S. Information Security and Assurance Norwich University
    • B.S. Cybersecurity UMUC
    In Queue: PMP, CCSP, CRISC

• Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    Check out Fort Hays State University in Kansas- https://www.fhsu.edu/

Depending on the certs you have they will allow you to do a project instead of taking the entire class.

I'm dying to do my masters degree through them but just can't right now due to family and kids (3,5, and 8 year old boys). Looking forward to going with them in 3-5 years!
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From what I can tell, it's somewhat atypical for a graduate program to give you credit for a professional certification.

WGU will accept the EC-Council CEH and CHFI exams because (for some reason) they were integrated into the program to cover the ethical hacking and digital forensics portions of the coursework.  So that's a 1:1 thing that can't really be disputed.  I don't know why they won't accept other (better) certs but it's probably because of an agreement or something.

Personally, I'd just pick the overall best fit for you regardless of credit equivalency.  It probably won't end up being too many credits anyhow.
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2018
    Why do you want your Masters? Why not take the BS and all those certs to the job market?

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    Kind of a rare for a reputable school to accept professional certifications for class credit.
    As others said, best to research a graduate program that you'll have interest.
    In case you didn't know, Georgia Tech has a masters in cybersecurity program.