Ceh

JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi!

Is it possible to take the CEH exam without the 2 years of experience? I am currently working on my eJPT certification, but my next steps will either be OSCP or CEH.

Comments

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Save yourself the time and money, just skip the CEH and go straight to OSCP. You won't learn anything from the CEH anyway.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree in some ways...but since CEH is sorta a foundation of pentesting (kinda like A+ is to computers in general)...I am going to take it soon to gain the knowledge and credentials that most of you all have already that are in pentesting.

I did read on a TE post on how outdated the OSCP is, but I am sure it is "only his/your opinion, man" says Lebowski...heh
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The people who say that the OSCP is outdated probably dont even do pentesting or have never done it at all and are just looking at the OS's used in the labs. There are older operating systems in the labs, JUST LIKE IN THE REAL WORLD. There are also plenty of newer operating systems as well. These people are failing to see the point of the lab environment being setup the way it is. Also, these same people fail to see the OSCP for what it is. It's an ENTRY LEVEL pentesting cert. It is not meant to take you from zero knowledge to reverse enginnering and writting zero days. It is meant to get you accustomed to the feel of the basics of pentesting.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ahhh, yeah, I believe most certs should be hands on instead of trying to memorize a concepts/materials...when you actually are configuring hardware/software several times is when you know your stuff, however, there are plenty of misconfigurations out there too.

Here is the post I ran across - http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/134006-interesting-article-s-time-move-offensive-security-certifications.html
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JSN wrote: »
    Hi!

Is it possible to take the CEH exam without the 2 years of experience? I am currently working on my eJPT certification, but my next steps will either be OSCP or CEH.

Yes, if you take EC-Council's training for $1899. Padding your resume or looking for additional knowledge?
  • JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tekn0logy wrote: »
    Yes, if you take EC-Council's training for $1899. Padding your resume or looking for additional knowledge?

Really just looking for the next step up to eJPT.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JSN wrote: »
    Really just looking for the next step up to eJPT.

With $1899, you're much better off going for eCPPT or OSCP.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]