Network+ before eJPT.

JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I do not have a baseline as far as networking, while I understand it's covered on eJPT, I am not sure it is enough. I was also advised by a friend in information security that I should have a basis of networking and Linux beforehand.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

  • KapitalKapital Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JSN wrote: »
    So I do not have a baseline as far as networking, while I understand it's covered on eJPT, I am not sure it is enough. I was also advised by a friend in information security that I should have a basis of networking and Linux beforehand.

    Any advice is much appreciated.
    You are trying hard but not in the right direction. If you already have sec+ first try to get a cybersecurity job, may be in a Soc. Forget conceptual knowledge, forget certs, forget career at this stage. First work with the technologies, see what do you like - Pentesting, Audits, Packet analysis, Reverse engineering, security device monitoring.......It is a huge world out there. Once you find what you really love to do and excel in, choose the cert and career path.
    And yes to your question in another thread, you DO need quite a bit of networking and Linux knowledge and many other skillsbefore you get a good cyber security job so try to acquire these skills in actual job setting. Get experience first, then certs. Not the other way around.
  • JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see your point, but my issue is I can't even find an entry level SOC position. I am trying to make myself more marketable. Now is it a waste of time to pursue the eJPT certfication?
  • tedjamestedjames Scruffy-looking nerfherdr Member Posts: 1,156 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JSN wrote: »
    I see your point, but my issue is I can't even find an entry level SOC position. I am trying to make myself more marketable. Now is it a waste of time to pursue the eJPT certfication?

    It's definitely not a waste of time. Earning the eJPT will give you practical, hands-on experience with several security tools, and you'll learn about how you can use them together to accomplish a goal. You will also learn a little about networking, probably enough to get you through the course. If, during the networking portion of the class, you feel you need more info, then you can dive deeper with further instruction. There are lots of great resources on YouTube and other places. I think that having the knowledge and experience you will gain from earning the eJPT will help to make you more marketable. The certification itself doesn't carry a lot of weight right now. But that's not nearly as important as having the skills.

    If you choose to go this way, spend some time beforehand setting up and using a lab at home with Kali Linux on a VM. There's plenty of free instruction on YouTube for this.
  • JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    It's definitely not a waste of time. Earning the eJPT will give you practical, hands-on experience with several security tools, and you'll learn about how you can use them together to accomplish a goal. You will also learn a little about networking, probably enough to get you through the course. If, during the networking portion of the class, you feel you need more info, then you can dive deeper with further instruction. There are lots of great resources on YouTube and other places. I think that having the knowledge and experience you will gain from earning the eJPT will help to make you more marketable. The certification itself doesn't carry a lot of weight right now. But that's not nearly as important as having the skills.

    If you choose to go this way, spend some time beforehand setting up and using a lab at home with Kali Linux on a VM. There's plenty of free instruction on YouTube for this.

    Reason I chose it was because it seemed like a good baseline to start out. Thank you for your advice! I may try to set a VM on a laptop to use,
  • HeisenbugHeisenbug Registered Users Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good advice there, you should probably look at the eLearnSecurity course they have created to prep individuals for the exam, it's actually heavily discounted now but if its not in your budget at the moment (Xmas is round the corner, ugh!!) you can have a look at the syllabus pdf
Sign In or Register to comment.