New site, first thoughts?

Comments

• McxRisleyMcxRisley OSCP, CASP, CySA+, CPT+, Sec+, CEH, Splunk Admin Posts: 483Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't like it one bit and especially don't like the site now being associated with infosecinstitue. A sad day for TE...
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • ErtazErtaz Posts: 921Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hey, quick note to say thanks.  The HTTPS is very much appreciated.   I am trying to keep an open mind about the layout. ;)
  • draughtdraught Posts: 228Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    The colors... It's too bright... add a dark mode please. B)

Also the Agree and Disagree buttons are too close to reddit. The Like and LOL buttons are ok though.
  • SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Posts: 33Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    I'm not sure if this is a bug but when I initially click in the box to type text, "Type your comment" remains. Hopefully this can get sorted out. The old TE forum did not have this issue.

Here are some feature requests that I would like to see:
    1. Dark Theme. The White on Blue combo hurts my eyes.
    2. Wider text before Word Wrap occurs.
    3. Highlighted text to be able to be formatted as "Ordered list" (numbers icon) and "Unordered list" (bullets icon)
    4. Ability to list certifications

Currently when I select text and attempt to list, the first paragraph in the text box has the formatting applied to.
  • FayzFayz Posts: 118Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I prefer the old look more than the new one.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy SABSA, GCFA, GPEN, CISM, RHCE, Security+, Server+, eJPT, CCNA Posts: 4,047Mod Mod
    I'm getting used to the new one. The "Recent Discussion" is useful, I don't to go into each sub forums to find topics, they're all upfront now 
    Goal: MBA, Jan 2021
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Posts: 1,773Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is there an easy way to mark all forms read? It was a very useful feature and I'm not sure if I am just missing it. I agree with others the page is to bright.
  • MeggoMeggo Administrator Posts: 190Admin Admin
    @SaltyHashes was browser are you using? I wasn't able to replicate this on Chrome, but will dig into it tomorrow. 

@Jon_Cisco, is this what you were looking for? 
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Certification Invigilator Surf City, USAPosts: 11,468Admin Admin
    McxRisley said:
    I don't like it one bit and especially don't like the site now being associated with infosecinstitue. A sad day for TE...
    TE has been associated with Infosec Institute since 2016. The name was plastered all over the advert banners. TE is the same free and open IT cert watering hole it ever was.
  • gramacorpgramacorp Member Posts: 39Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I liked the old layout better.
  • WarDoctorWarDoctor Posts: 18Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    There does seem to be the need to scroll a bit more, but I enjoy the brighter look. The change will definitely not keep me from coming back and getting valuable information and advice tho !
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Posts: 1,773Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Meggo said:
    @SaltyHashes was browser are you using? I wasn't able to replicate this on Chrome, but will dig into it tomorrow. 

@Jon_Cisco, is this what you were looking for? 
    Almost. One the old site I was able to mark all forms read with a single click. Unless I am mistaken that option only works for the one section. I like to read the current posts of interest and then just mark everything read. I'll deal with it but just making sure I am not missing anything.
    @Jon_Cisco Ah, I see. I'll look into it further tomorrow and see if there's anything we can enable to do this. 
    Who we are | What we do 
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 821Mod Mod
    Here are some feature requests that I would like to see:
    1. Dark Theme. The White on Blue combo hurts my eyes.
    2. Wider text before Word Wrap occurs.
    3. Highlighted text to be able to be formatted as "Ordered list" (numbers icon) and "Unordered list" (bullets icon)
    4. Ability to list certifications
    +1 on this. I think 'smaller and darker' is what a lot of people are use to. It doesn't have to be massively different, and I'm sure the Infosec staff are doing their best and listening to all our feedback. We just need to be honest and give it some time.

Also, I'm not sure how the new points system works, if it has changed? You use to be able to give reputation on a post and level up  based on the points you got. Is this still a thing?
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Posts: 2,268Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with many others, I don't like the new layout at all. Tons of wasted space, to even get to some forums it takes more clicks and way more scrolling than it used to. 

Actual suggestions:

- Would love the ability to hide some/many of the categories on the main categories page, there are many there that I'll never use and just have to scroll past now. 

- Some sort of compact view would be great, Right now it's icons, big text, buttons, huge right side white space, etc, even on a new laptop I'm seeing 1-2 replies per screen. 

- Category reordering, if I could at least filter the ones I do read to the top, then the rest of the scrolling wouldn't be as bad. 

I know someone compared it to the reddit redo, so many people hated that they had to make old.reddit.com so people didn't have to go to the new format. It's been a source of constant complaints for months. 
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Ninja Posts: 78Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the website looks nice. I'm still looking forward to that name change and dark theme. The only thing I don't like about the site is that it's harder to see at a glance if there are new posts created or updated for certain sub sections. Everything is kind of large too, but as a workaround I view the website at 90% zoom and that works for me.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • E Double UE Double U Posts: 1,556Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find it too bright, but I guess I could get used to it. 
    Alphabet soup: CISSP, CCSP, CISM, CISA, GPEN, GCIA, GCIH, GCCC, CEH, etc

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson
  • PeterHandsPeterHands CEH, CISSP, Security+ Posts: 75Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just want to say goodbye to everyone.

Loved the old site. This one is just awful. why the change?

Anyways, good luck all, I wont be coming back unless the old site resurrected.
    ISC2 CISSP, EC-Council CEH, CompTia Security+
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley OSCP, CASP, CySA+, CPT+, Sec+, CEH, Splunk Admin Posts: 483Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    McxRisley said:
    TE has been associated with Infosec Institute since 2016. The name was plastered all over the advert banners. TE is the same free and open IT cert watering hole it ever was.

I noticed the banners but wasn't aware of them completely merging with them, if thats the correct term. I have never been a fan of infosecinstitue due to many many many things.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • cshkurucshkuru Posts: 232Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the "I don't like it" camp.  There are a number of reasons but among them, to me the site looks cartoonish.  Colors are too glaring, buttons are like something you expect a 3 year old to mash on a fish price toy.  I do appreciate the fact that research was done regarding best readability width and such so Kudos there but the appearance needs to be toned down.  Also be bold and break the mold of going MetroUI, everything is too flat.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Posts: 662Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    My only concern is how narrow post are in the screen.. I have the impression that it was designed to fit a 800x600 resolution :smiley:  
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 821Mod Mod

If you give your thoughts and ideas on the new site then it's possible the admins will make the changes necessary to meet everyone's needs. TE has been one of the best forums I've used for certs so I don't see the point just quitting all together, but each to their own I guess.
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • ErtazErtaz Posts: 921Member ■■■■■□□□□□

@Skyliinez92 is correct! We're looking at every comment and will take them all into consideration for the next round of edits. Tightening up the layout to limit the need for scrolling is first on the list! Then we'll look into a dark them option. :)  

The more specific you can be, the better! And sharing examples of forums you love is also extremely helpful. 

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback so far. 
    Who we are | What we do 
    It has potential but I do agree that it needs to have a darker theme. You're running a forum for a bunch of computer geeks, we don't like bright things lol
  • gkcagkca Posts: 243Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the old site much better.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • promethuschowpromethuschow Member Northern VA, NYCPosts: 191Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    I kinda like the new design, will need time to get used to with it.Overall I will give it 7.5/10, good work guys.
  • QordQord Senior Member Posts: 628Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    Change is hard  :'(
    I'm not really a big fan of modern web design, but I do love to check in to TE and read so I'm happy to hang out and get used to the new look. 

That mobile view though!!! TE now looks good on my phone? Whaaaat!? 
  • mzx380mzx380 ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM New YorkPosts: 453Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Qord said:
    Change is hard  :'(
    I'm not really a big fan of modern web design, but I do love to check in to TE and read so I'm happy to hang out and get used to the new look. 

That mobile view though!!! TE now looks good on my phone? Whaaaat!? 
    That reminds me! any chance of accessing this site via tapatalk?
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Posts: 492Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with some users that the display of the post is much bigger than before. I like it the old format when displaying the post. I don't know if we have the option to change the background color of the forum for display. Don't get me wrong I like change. Change is always good , and stuff. 

Hopefully you will give the user the option to display the old format when looking at the forum. For me it takes a lot more space when trying to look for a post someone else did. 

Other thing if you need anymore moderation I would be willing to help since i'm always on here. 

Anyways thanks for the update of the website, and all the work you guys put together for us. 
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2018 - *MCSA* / 2019 - *Security+*
    2019 - *CEH* / 2020 - * Pen Tester*
This discussion has been closed.