New site, first thoughts?

Comments

• thomas_thomas_ CompTIA N+/S+/L+; CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S Posts: 908Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Also, I think any paid Infosec Institute staff should have a tag indicating they are Infosec Institute employees whether or not they are posting on company time or their own personal time.  It wouls also be nice for everyone else to have a customizable tag, byline, equivalent of a reddit “flair”
  • DZA_DZA_ Untitled. Posts: 393Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    @thomas_ - I thought there was an actual quote button on the new site design before but not sure if they removed it shortly after. You could technically put your certifications in your signature or "title" under your profile. I find that the mobile version of the site is pretty good and has overall improved. Text is condensed vs the the full version where here is a lot of white space. I agree with your points above, nonetheless it's still TechExams at heart.
  • whitergwhiterg Posts: 20Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    the very bad :

Techexams is DEAD ...
    You are now part of the infosec community (look at the url) so :

1- be prepared to be spam with infosec training offers,just like others training companies (ELS,INE,...)
    2- changes made just  before "black Friday 2018 " ..... Uhmm............
    3 - shadowing others vendors (look at the offensive security , they have a empty thread , the jollyfish are under general security cert) for example ....
    4 - someone asked  for what techexams was bought ....  maybe for the member's database in order to attract young people with little experience = increase of bootcamp training sales ??
    5- soon or later , it will become  infosec institute products only.

the Bad , like others...

1 - I prefer the old look more than the new one
    2- LOT of wasted screen space

the Good :

1- the HTTPs

an optimistic man with a lot of experience.

• FSF150FSF150 Senior Member Posts: 118Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll +1 all the feedback stating that TE now looks more like the comments section of a blog than a forum, at least on PC. I actually do all of my TE browsing on a laptop so I'm not seeing the benefits that the mobile side is. 

I think you're moving in the right direction, just a few bumps. 

Removing the certifications list does seem like kind of a tone-deaf move. 
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Posts: 1,539Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I preferred the old style being more of a basic discussion forum. This new design adds too much non-essential fluff (big graphics, banners, clunky).
  • EANxEANx Posts: 1,077Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited November 2018
    A forum transition is always hard but if it's managed well, it will survive. The transition started off well, with the right questions being asked but now that it's here, it's clear that a lot of assumptions were made by people who presumably don't have much experience with forum design or the way techies like to use forums. Vanilla is very flexible, it seems a little weird to have a user interface that wastes so much space. I see a lot of the complaints are surrounding "sub-optimization".

Why does each one of the "welcome center" sections need to have a summary, aren't they rather self-explanatory? Why do I need to see how many discussions or posts are in each section? Tell me if there's anything new, I don't need to see statistics about the stale. I do like to see the sub-forum list in the other forums though. Why does there need to be a big buffer above and below each of the section titles in addition to the buffer between titles?

I think the thing I'm most disappointed in is that the illusion of an independent "Tech Exams" is gone. Sure, it's been a part of a boot camp company for a while but the illusion was there. Now, even the name is gone from the URL. The only thing left is a DNS redirect. A redirect to a company whose only attachment I have is "that company that likes to have full-page ads."

• UrbanBobUrbanBob Posts: 30Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Feels like we lost many things to gain the ability to LOL a post and use the site on our phones.
  • NetStudent89NetStudent89 Posts: 8Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    I initially thought I stumbled onto a phishing site. I like the new design. Do you still have practice exams available and other test prep resources? Those helped a lot while I was studying for ICND1. 
  • NetStudent89NetStudent89 Posts: 8Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with LonerVamp that this Layout feels more like a blog than a forum community. This site has been a reliable resource for navigating the Certification process. I prefer to get advice from this community than the dozens of current blogs that have incomplete or outdated information. 

It would be great if you would emphasize the forum aesthetics, which would attract more newbies like me to participate and ask questions. 

Meggo, I appreciate that you're open to feedback from the community. 
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead CSM, ITIL x3, Teradata Assc, MS SQL Server, Project +, Server +, A+, N+, MS Project, CAPM, RMP Posts: 2,475Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited November 2018
    I like how it's stretching across the wide screens now.  
  • pitviperpitviper CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT Posts: 1,376Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hate it.  Looks more like a hipster blog and less like a tech community.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Posts: 3,276Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited November 2018
    Definitely better looking stretched across!  Text might be slightly too big still, but that could just be a preference of mine.

Edit: also, does anyone actually use that "Popular Tags" section on the right column?  Think it looks messy   (just looking for random things that could be improved upon)

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    The popular tags seem to include some really unpopular topics, lol.

I also agree that the site seems much more "appy" than it was before.  I like a lot of the new features, though.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Posts: 3,276Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    LOL just noticed all the "****" in there!   :D 
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ USA, CAPosts: 146Registered Users ■■■■□□□□□□
    I enjoy the new design, however it is taking me some time to get use to. Does the site still host the practice tests? For instance, the well know ports? I can't seem to find those.

Current:  A+ | Network+ | Project+ |Security+
    Working on: Cysa+
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't think it still has those quizzes, but you can find tons of great flashcards/quizzes on Quizlet for things like that.  Or even make your own.  Quizlet is an awesome resource.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK Posts: 392Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    I see thread necros are a thing here. I've love to see the thread start date in the Recent Discussions. I don't recall if I could see that on the old, site, though. Seeing the date of the most recent post is a bit redundant for that view of discussions.

Edited to add: Maybe not jumping to the last page would help. Jump me into page 1. I do know the old site did that.
    About 75% of my use on this site has been looking at the recent posts every now and then throughout my day. The other 25% would be me searching a particular cert or topic or just a quick browse of one subject-specific forum or two.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK
    2019 goals: GWAPT, Linux+, (possible: SLAE, CCSK, AWS SA-A)
  • infosec_darreninfosec_darren Administrator Posts: 20Admin Admin
    We're starting to make some adjustments based on your feedback. We'll do some easy things first (like stretch the main content area and font sizes) and tackle some of the others more long-term. 
  • PC509PC509 CISSP, CEH, CCNA: Security/CyberOps, Sec+, CHFI, A+, Proj+, Server+, MCITP Win7, Vista, MCP Server 2 Oregon, USPosts: 772Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Any chance of a user configured light/dark theme? 
  • JD20JD20 Posts: 65Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the old design. We definitely need an option to use a dark theme.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Posts: 1,460Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't mind the new look as long as all the old content is still there. Thanks to those that worked on this.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • infosec_darreninfosec_darren Administrator Posts: 20Admin Admin
    @PC509 we're working on options for the dark theme now. 
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ USA, CAPosts: 146Registered Users ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it still has those quizzes, but you can find tons of great flashcards/quizzes on Quizlet for things like that.  Or even make your own.  Quizlet is an awesome resource.
    Much appreciated PJ - visited the site and searched for well known ports and ...presto!
    Current:  A+ | Network+ | Project+ |Security+
    Working on: Cysa+
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Posts: 2,801Mod Mod
    I've got to say, I'm LOVING the recent discussions list at the top. I used to have jump into each section to see the latest posts from each. Now I just go one place and can view that way. Can't wait for a dark theme!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Posts: 947Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    volfkhat said:
    Change is inevitable...

but i HATE the new design. lol

Its too 'poofy';  there is way LESS content/text on the screen.
    i now have to do alot more scrolling.
    BLEHHH

But to be fair, im the guy who loved the "Yahoo Mail CLASSIC" style....

Looks like i havent been on since Friday....
    Thats like FOUR days ago.

thats  a lonnng time for me.

I think the redesign played a subconscious role in that.
    sigh :\
  • nisti2nisti2 Posts: 485Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started to receive emails notifications for the first time.
    How do I disable it? 
    2019 Year goals:
    AWS Cloud Practitioner
    Willing to take: ITIL Foundation, 70-410
    "Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • PC509PC509 CISSP, CEH, CCNA: Security/CyberOps, Sec+, CHFI, A+, Proj+, Server+, MCITP Win7, Vista, MCP Server 2 Oregon, USPosts: 772Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    volfkhat said:
    volfkhat said:
    Change is inevitable...

but i HATE the new design. lol

Its too 'poofy';  there is way LESS content/text on the screen.
    i now have to do alot more scrolling.
    BLEHHH

But to be fair, im the guy who loved the "Yahoo Mail CLASSIC" style....

Looks like i havent been on since Friday....
    Thats like FOUR days ago.

thats  a lonnng time for me.

I think the redesign played a subconscious role in that.
    sigh :\

I can see that. It was way different. At least the dev's are working on making it better and using the suggestions from the thread to make it better. I agree that it does seem too "poofy" in places. I liked the condensed forum structure that the old one and many other forums have. It was more functional. But, like you - it's that classic style of function first, visual second. 
  • promethuschowpromethuschow Member Northern VA, NYCPosts: 191Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    nisti2 said:
    How do I disable it? 

Edit profile--- Notification Preferences--- uncheck, choices that you don't want---Save -- You are done :smiley:

• volfkhatvolfkhat Posts: 947Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    nisti2 said:
    How do I disable it? 
    It's a Feature...

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Posts: 2,268Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah that just got flicked on, started getting them to this thread part way through. 
This discussion has been closed.