New site, first thoughts?

Comments

• infosec_darreninfosec_darren Administrator Posts: 20Admin Admin
    Thanks to @PJ_Sneakers for saying something. Notifications weren't on for everyone. FYI you have full control over which and how you want notifications to work.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Security +, ITIL Foundation, MPT, EPO, ACAS, HTL behind youPosts: 2,716Mod Mod
    Yes, getting slammed with email! LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • LevithanLevithan Posts: 72Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am the only one who is seriously facepalming here?! I went to check my e-mail and I had 30+ mails about other peoples posts! :(

I'm amazed how extremely UNPROFESSIONAL your forum migration has been..! Do you seriously expect senior members to stick around and put up with this?!

• pleiadenpleiaden Posts: 18Member ■■■□□□□□□□
     FYI you have full control over which and how you want notifications to work.
    Ah, so it's my fault that you turned on notifications.
    Thanks for spamming my inbox with a bunch of crap I don't want to read.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Posts: 1,460Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Please add an unsubscribe button on notifications. The amount of notifications is beyond inappropriate. 
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    There's a notifications section in your settings. You can get vspecific about what you want to receive.
  • cshkurucshkuru Posts: 232Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    better with the reduction of white space.  thank you
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Certification Invigilator Surf City, USAPosts: 11,480Admin Admin
    edited November 2018
    In the upper right corner is the Account Options (gear) list. Select "Edit Profile" and you will see "Notification Preferences". It is here that you may change which notifications that you receive.

• PseudonymousPseudonymous Ninja Posts: 78Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Holy email spam. They came out of no where lol. Think I'll just turn off all email preferences for now.
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • EssendonEssendon Posts: 4,548Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also why the eff is the site now called infosecinstitute FFS.. Is the end game about being infosec focused?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 822Mod Mod
    Essendon said:
    Also why the eff is the site now called infosecinstitute FFS.. Is the end game about being infosec focused?
    TechExams is owned by InfoSec Institute. It's still called TechExams, but with just a little more focus on the owners.
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • thomas_thomas_ CompTIA N+/S+/L+; CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S Posts: 908Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Essendon said:
    TechExams is owned by InfoSec Institute. It's still called TechExams, but with just a little more focus on the owners.
    Actually it’s no longer techexams.  It’s now the Infosec Institute community if you look at the URL.
  • Goteki54Goteki54 SSCP, A+, Network +, Security + BaltimorePosts: 79Member ■■■□□□□□□□

It's going to take some getting use to, but it has a modern look to. Overall I like it.

CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 822Mod Mod
    thomas_ said:
    Essendon said:
    Actually it’s no longer techexams.  It’s now the Infosec Institute community if you look at the URL.
    I know the URL is different, but if you look in the top left corner, it says TechExams
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • LonerVampLonerVamp OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK Posts: 397Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    thomas_ said:

I know the URL is different, but if you look in the top left corner, it says TechExams
    Hate to say it, but unless the URL says it, it's really not, in my opinion. Even if it was something like techexams.infosecinstitute.com, I'd be happy. But once that logo is removed, only the old guard will be calling it TE.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK
    2019 goals: GWAPT, Linux+, (possible: SLAE, CCSK, AWS SA-A)
  • nisti2nisti2 Posts: 486Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow finally found it... after so many emails ... anyways.. thanks!
    2019 Year goals:
    AWS Cloud Practitioner
    Willing to take: ITIL Foundation, 70-410
    "Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • sys_tecksys_teck Posts: 130Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    good morning/day/evening!

People are well known for their inertia. In general, it's still Techexams community house or room but painted with different color. As for layout, wouldn't it be better to change to less flashy colors.
    Its little bit easy to navigate.

working on CCNA
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers CompTIA, EC-Council, ISACA, (ISC)², Microsoft USAPosts: 879Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    I will say that I have experienced very positive interactions with not only the old moderators but the "new management" as well.  I started a tech support thread to get my email notifications working again.  The time to fix my issue was less than two days.  That's not too bad for something I don't pay for at all.

Apparently, whatever was changed to resolve that issue affected more than one user.  So some of these people are complaining about getting emails.  I have a feeling that they would have also complained about NOT getting any emails.

Well, whatever. So far it's been a good experience for me, so thank you to the TE staff.
  • pitviperpitviper CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT Posts: 1,376Member ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's a technical community - of all people we should be able to find the notification settings lol  took like 10 seconds!  I'm fine with the fact that notifications were on by default - gave me a reason to look through the new settings.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • LonerVampLonerVamp OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK Posts: 397Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    thomas_ said:
    Essendon said:
    Hate to say it, but unless the URL says it, it's really not, in my opinion. Even if it was something like techexams.infosecinstitute.com, I'd be happy. But once that logo is removed, only the old guard will call it TE. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, CCNA Cyber Ops, Sec+, Linux+, AWS CCP, CCSK
    2019 goals: GWAPT, Linux+, (possible: SLAE, CCSK, AWS SA-A)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Certification Invigilator Surf City, USAPosts: 11,480Admin Admin
    edited November 2018
    The few people saying "if I don't see techexams in the URL then it's not TechExams" has really got me scratching my head. It's the same people and content regardless of what subdomains are used to get you here. If I were to register a new domain that contained "techexams" and put a Web site behind it, that site would not be TechExams despite the name in the URL. It's the substance of the site that makes it TE, not the superficial details that are easily changeable.

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Posts: 1,773Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray said:
    The few people saying "if I don't see techexams in the URL then it's not TechExams" has really got me scratching my head.
    I mostly agree. I work a lot with marketing and it is not uncommon to rebrand away from something and try to expand your own exposure. That is presumably why they purchased the site to capture the audience. I would preferred that they kept the old site name but as long as the community remains I will deal with it.

As long as they can get a dark theme running I'll give it a chance.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Senior Member Posts: 399Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Really like the "Popular Categories" section since I'm big on statistics and averages. Also, editing your profile and all of its contents is much easier now because it's better organized and consolidated into one area.

Margins could still be decreased but overall it seems better now.

Just wonder if instead of light blue, white, light blue, white ... we could just stick to the light blue for all posts? Much easier on the eyes.

Thanks
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Posts: 1,480Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not a fan of the redesign by any means, feels like I'm scrolling for days to see content that was previously nicely condensed and still very readable even on 4K displays.  The member name, status, posts, reputation, post date/time being along the top contributes to this but even the main forum listing is far too stretched out.  It has that sort of "trying to be modern" feel to it that I've encountered at other community sites and ultimately end up not participating in because the end-user experience is pretty dismal.  

The content is still here which is a big plus, time will tell how the community reacts.  But I'll be blunt and admit if the user experience isn't substantially overhauled I can't see myself reading TE any longer.  Most of us are all extremely busy professionals, we consume a lot of data everyday and most of us are already trying to squeeze in as much as we can into our busy lives.  While I may or may not be spending a lot more time navigating and reading the site as I did with the old layout - it certainly feels like it's a much slower process navigating and consuming information here with the new design.  I could be spending the same time as I was before reading TE - but perception is everything and if I perceive it as being slow and clunky to navigate I'm not likely to use it.

Just my honest $.02 worth - I hope as time goes on things grow more appealing to use or I begrudgingly adapt and conform to that which my mind tells me I don't like. 
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc CISSP, CHFI, CEH, MCSA Server 2008, Project+, Security+ce, Server+, Network+, A+ King City, CAPosts: 624Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    My two cents...

The "feature" I liked from the previous version was the mini-profile on the left side of the post.  At a quick glance I could see the user's join date, listed certifications, and location.

Note:  I do miss seeing JDMurray's listing of CEH (Revoked)  :D
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • mzx380mzx380 ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM New YorkPosts: 453Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    My two cents...

The "feature" I liked from the previous version was the mini-profile on the left side of the post.  At a quick glance I could see the user's join date, listed certifications, and location.

Note:  I do miss seeing JDMurray's listing of CEH (Revoked)  :d:disappointed:
    I agree
    I miss this feature as well
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • MeggoMeggo Administrator Posts: 190Admin Admin
    Interesting! 

@PCTechLinc and @mzx380, does it matter to you if it's at the side of the post or at the top? There's something similar to what you are asking for up top (besides your avatar) that we can try to customize right now. 
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • c5rookiec5rookie CISSP, CCNA CyberOps/Wireless, GCED, GCIA, GCIH, GCUX, GCWN, GPEN, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, U.S.Posts: 35Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited November 2018
    I'm still trying to figure out how to search.  With as bright and big as everything appears to be, why not have a search bar visible on each page?  Is there even option to search?  I'm not a fan of the default list of avatar photos.  Doesn't seem professional, but at least we can upload our own.  I concur with many other comments on here about a dark theme that users can select.  Also, has there been any talk within the admin team about a post that provides a walk-through of the changes and where you can find items now?
This discussion has been closed.