Options

Interview I GOT IT.

dmm37dmm37 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
This may help those who are going for an Interview, if you have certifications be prepared to prove you know the subjects well.

Well I had my first Interview since I entered the IT field, I went straight to work right out off college and been there for 3.5 years. I started looking at better jobs or one that I could learn more. We have a complex network to be only 78 users and 13 servers. We have VPN users, Remotes access servers. All 2003 servers and XP clients and a few Linux servers.

I sent in a resume for a Desktop Support Analyst for the County’s network that has 1400 users and 35 windows servers. Well after waiting 2 weeks I got a call for and interview. ]
That Interview was tough, I had two Managers asking me questions about computers and networking taking turns. If I gave and answer I got another question about my answer. Raid, Host resolution…etc. Then personal stuff like what types of people upset you. What conflicts have you had with others and how did you resolve the issue …etc. This went on for an hour. In the middle of the conversation the manager said not to feel intimidated that I was doing good to make it that far that most did not. I had a picture of my home network, which I have 3 rack mount servers and a Cisco 2600 router and Virtual PC on my desktop setup as Domain clients and 2 laptops the works. There eyes got big and they talked about it for 10 minutes. At this point they got up and gave me written test with 6 pages with 5 questions and about 30 possible answers per page. They came back in 30 minutes and wanted me to meet the Supervisor and told me make sure I let him see the picture of my network that I use to study. He asked me to describe how I would put a system on the network and then to design a system that would run a database and play games. I asked is this a database as in SQL where user will access it, he said like access.
So I told him what parts I would use and why – games change everything so the system was pretty powerful and that I used NewEgg. Well he got up and went to his desktop and printed out a new egg parts list and I looked at it an it was almost the same parts that he put together for his personal system. He asked me what my dream job would be at forget about this job and one I have now. I told to be a very good server administrator in a large environment.

To finish this up I was on my way out the original manager that interviewed me came out of the break room from his lunch and asked me how did it go and I said good and I was a bit nervous and he said who wouldn’t be. I thanked them and told them that just being there let me know I was heading in the right direction with my training and certification or I wouldn’t be here today and that I was looking forward to seeing them again an he quietly said on the way back to his lunch I think you will.

I’m still waiting it’s been one day since the interview. I’m stressed. After the interview I started thinking some of the question I could have said this or this, stress will keep you from doing %100 I hope they know this.

David

Comments

• Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Good luck.Sounds like you nailed that one :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Good luck.Sounds like you nailed that one :D

I hope.

How many days usually does it take for employers to decide on average? Anyone have any input.

David
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Depends on the employer and how quickly they need the position filled. I went in about a week ago for an interview and signed all the paperwork today, and start my first day tomorrow. The interview before that it took them about 3 weeks to get back to me and send me an offer letter.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply,

So they may send letters in the mail?

David
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done - that sounded like a tough interview process, one I went through before. If an interviewers seems to get excited about something you talk about there is a good chance you will get it. Not trying to get your hopes up.

But if I was asked about setting up a games server I would be lost, no idea about that stuff.

Nice home lab setup by the way.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    A government position may take longer to get an answer. They have to follow strict guidelines to at least appear fair to everyone. Then of course you have all those approval processes.

And that's assuming they need the position filled right away. The position I have now, I was interviewed by the manager (supervisor really) and a technical interview. I was told I would get an answer in a week, but didn't hear anything for 2 or 3 weeks I think. I already had a job and didn't need the new job so I didn't worry about it. The supervisor called about 2 or 3 weeks later after the interviews and told me they were going through a reorganization so their decision would be delayed, but assured me I was not eliminated. 2 weeks later, I was called by HR for an interview. It was then I knew I had the job. After all, if you get an HR interview AFTER your managerial and technical interview, that has to be a formality.

I discovered later after starting the position that they were moving the department out of one building at one complex to another building in the main campus. To top it off, sales that was in the building technical was moving into had to be moved out to another building. No wonder there was a month delay, and this wasn't even government (though a large corporation).

So don't fret. It sounds like you may have the job or were darn close. In the mean time, keep looking.
  • Options
    GodMadeDirtGodMadeDirt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you sent a "thank you for your time" letter? Sounds corny to some but anything that will set you apart from the other potential canidates is a plus.

I work as a contractor for the Government and believe me they drag their feet. So be patient and above all please dont get too excited. There have been plenty of interviews that I was sure I aced only to not get the job. Ironically the ones I didn't feel real well about are the ones I get.

Don't stop looking/interviewing either. If you end up not getting this job you will have wasted valuable time waiting for the phone call.

Sounds like you're doing really well. GG!!
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Hand written card....

Don't ask me why, I have just read its better.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    I never send thank you letters..It's just not my thing. You get me the job because you need my skills and my knowledge. Not because of a thank you letter.. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    eclowneyeclowney Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WOW- sounds like a heck of cool home network!

it sounds like they're very interested in you; had you screwed up on anything believe me they wouldn't of kept asking you questions.
    Keep looking though; because you never know...

Best of Luck!

Liz
    "Comfort is the Enemy of Achievement"

Go For IT!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :D

I got it. sign the papers in the morning.

David
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Yes, congrats!
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    That's awesome!

Congrats!
  • Options
    I told you you'd nailed it, man. Awesome job, good luck and success in your new job.
  • Options
    eclowneyeclowney Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent Job!

Best of Luck and Congrats!!!! :P
    "Comfort is the Enemy of Achievement"

Go For IT!
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Olajuwon wrote:
    I told you you'd nailed it, man. Awesome job, good luck and success in your new job.
    Must have been the thankyou letter he sent :P

Whats the salary range?
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Trailerisf wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Must have been the thankyou letter he sent :P

Whats the salary range?

39,000 - 62,000 with possible chance to move up over time to Network Engineer with 74,000 top pay.

I got 42,000 to start with full state benefits and 15 minute drive to work from having to drive 45 minutes.

Thanks again for all who gave input, I really like these forums. Lots of people trying to help others.

David
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Thats a pretty good deal. Short drives are killer. I live less than a mile from the office. The sounds of 74K should make you want to knock out your CCNP pretty quick. Congrats on the job and great opportunity.