Working in Security Field worth it?

Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning Tech Fam,

Hope all is well. I recently just took a 6 month break from attending WGU because of life changes. Because of that I have to change paths from my Networking Administrator degree ot one of the newer ones offered by WGU. I'm leaning towards either the B.S Cloud and Systems Administration or the B.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance. Is working in the security field worth it? Or should I keep going in Systems/Network Administration? Below are links to both degree paths and certs included in both programs. Just a little background, I have experience administration windows server 2008,2012,and 2016 in a smaller environment. I've always been interested in Cybersecurity and I currently have my Security+ if that means anything.

Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/cybersecurity-information-assurance-bachelors-program.html

Cloud and Systems Administrations
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/systems-cloud-administration-bachelors-program.html

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It all comes down to what is important to you and what you see yourself doing long term.  Honestly, either one would still get you a security job.  But, if you get a security oriented degree it may pigeonhole you more if you decide that Security isn't your cup of tea.  
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am confused on what is your question. The Infosec field being worth it and a degree selection are two different things. Regardless, it depends on who you ask. A smuch as i love it I know several people who say going the security path was their worst choice in life. No matter what, please make sure you follow what you love. I see too many people in IT pursue "cool" or highly paid careers just to realize they are miserable later on. Think carefully about what YOU want, where YOU want to get to, and how to get there. 
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There ain't nothing wrong with not being in security.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Neither is there anything wrong with being in security :D :P
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's my feeling that if security is not a passion for you, you're in the wrong field. That's not to say that it won't become a passion once you get into the field and figure out exactly what you want to do. GRC and policy and all of that are not a passion for me, but I do them as part of my job. The passion for me is learning and doing ethical hacking.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jcundiff said:
    Neither is there anything wrong with being in security :D :P
    Well, what I mean is that it's kinda like one of those trendy things that seems super cool and badass, but not everyone can really do.  And that's OK too.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, @PJ_Sneakers , on paper my role sounds all kinds of cool and exciting, in real life its a lot of mundane researching until something happens :D
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't believe that having the word cybersecurity in an IT-related degree is a game-changer when getting a company to hire you for a particular role. Same goes for the word cloud and the word networking. With this in mind, I wouldn't change my career trajectory based on the knowledge gained while obtaining a couple of okay security certs (CCSP, SSCP) and then a couple of poor quality security certs (the EC-Council ones).
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    .. I see too many people in IT pursue "cool" or highly paid careers just to realize they are miserable later on. Think carefully about what YOU want, where YOU want to get to, and how to get there. 
    ^^ The truth.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE