New filtered category view, darker theme, improved search access & more

MeggoMeggo AdministratorPosts: 196Admin Admin

Good Afternoon! 

We just deployed several changes to the community to make it easier to find and follow conversations that interest you the most.

• Added “following” category filter. You can now opt to only view followed categories. To use this feature, “follow” categories of interest, go to the “Categories” page (https://community.infosecinstitute.com/categories) and change your view to “Following” by clicking the “View” drop down box in the top left of your screen. This will apply a filtered view to your Category page

• Added search function to every page

• Reduced brightness of theme

• Further expanded discussion post width; reduced margins and font sizes

• Moved author bio information to left of post (instead of at the top) to improve discussion flow

In the works:

• Adding a dark theme option. In the meantime, you might find this plugin helpful: https://darkreader.org/ (thanks, @draught

• Adding “Certifications” field to author bio area at the discussion level

A huge thanks to everyone who provided feedback following our initial launch. Your comments have not gone unnoticed! If you have additional suggestions, please drop them on this thread. We look forward to your feedback and will continue to make improvements to the community overtime.

Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
Who we are | What we do 

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT GXPN GPEN GWAPT GCIH GCFE GICSP GSEC eJPT Sec+ Posts: 1,264Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good job Meggo and team!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Posts: 3,277Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely looking better.  Nice work!
  • promethuschowpromethuschow Member Northern VA, NYCPosts: 193Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job guys!! much better :+1:
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Posts: 681Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Reduced brightness of theme

It is just about right now..  clear but now glowing. This way, I would not need a dark theme

• PC509PC509 CISSP, CEH, CCNA: Security/CyberOps, Sec+, CHFI, A+, Proj+, Server+, MCITP Win7, Vista, MCP Server 2 Oregon, USPosts: 775Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like this much better. Thank you and the rest of your team for taking the suggestions of the users and making it happen (if possible). I really appreciate it! 
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ USA, CAPosts: 150Registered Users ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    @Meggo Awesome! Thank you!!
    Current:  A+ | Network+ | Project+ |Security+
    Working on: Cysa+
  • DZA_DZA_ Untitled. Posts: 397Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep those good changes coming. :) 
  • kaijukaiju Posts: 402Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for the update!
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • SpiegelSpiegel Taco Tuesday FLPosts: 298Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is looking very good. Great work to everyone involved!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [In-Progress]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S
    Currently Working On: CCDA

2019 Goals: CCENT [X], CCNA R&S [X], CCDA [ ]
    Future Certs: LPI Linux Essentials | Project+| Cloud Essentials + | CCSP | CCNP Enterprise | CCNP Security | MDAA
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Senior Member Posts: 399Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is starting to look a lot better! I hope our avatars come back though.
  • wd40wd40 CISA, eJPT, MCP, MCTS, CompTIA x 6 Posts: 988Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, it looks better now.

One more suggestion, elearnsecurity should have its own category under Information Security Certifications

This is starting to look a lot better! I hope our avatars come back though.
    Thats what I noticed too, everyone's response looks blended in together. I don't think the size has to be as big as the OP's but even a 100x100 px I would be OK with. 
  • MeggoMeggo Administrator Posts: 196Admin Admin
    edited December 2018
    We removed the avatars in comments to reduce the fixed min length of a comment post (limit scrolling as much as we can), but I do see what you mean, @DZA_ and @MontagueVandervort

Maybe we should take a forum poll in a few days? 
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT GXPN GPEN GWAPT GCIH GCFE GICSP GSEC eJPT Sec+ Posts: 1,264Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2018
    I think you should reduce the size of the first post avatar 60% and add the rest back in at that reduced size.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Posts: 6,846Mod Mod
    I gotta say I do use the avatars to quickly scan who posts. Having said that, they seem massive to me. Perhaps resurrecting them and reducing size would help?
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 837Mod Mod
    Just a quick note seeing as I'm here - I can still see avatars in the mobile version. Not sure if that's intentional or not but I thought I'd raise it. Also, not sure if it's just me, but I think there needs to be a clear layout of posts and replies between the text and the signature/social media icons. Basically what I mean by that is everything is bunched together in one white box. Perhaps this could be tidied up with some sort of line-separator like on the old site?
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy SABSA, GCFA, GPEN, CISM, RHCE, Security+, Server+, eJPT, CCNA Posts: 4,066Mod Mod
    I agree with bringing avatars back, it makes it easier to identify posters :) 
    Goal: MBA, Jan 2021
    I gotta say I do use the avatars to quickly scan who posts. Having said that, they seem massive to me. Perhaps resurrecting them and reducing size would help?
    UnixGuy said:
    I agree with bringing avatars back, it makes it easier to identify posters :) 
    Is this to see who post BSs and who doesn't? I'm kidding. 

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Posts: 6,846Mod Mod
  • EANxEANx Posts: 1,078Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with bringing back avatars
    YES!  :D
    Exposing the fakes and keeping it real since 2007.  B)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Posts: 2,801Mod Mod
    Avatars are definitely needed. Not that I ignore posts from people whose avatar I don't recognize, but when I'm quickly scanning a thread I like to quickly be able to attribute a post to a user without having to read the username.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Johnhe0414Johnhe0414 A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ USA, CAPosts: 150Registered Users ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here! - Agree
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Posts: 3,277Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Site is looking soooo much better from when it first was updated!   o:)  
    The world has been restored, thanks guys!
    Thanks!
  • PC509PC509 CISSP, CEH, CCNA: Security/CyberOps, Sec+, CHFI, A+, Proj+, Server+, MCITP Win7, Vista, MCP Server 2 Oregon, USPosts: 775Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks much better. I love the evolution of this site. :) Thanks!
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Posts: 681Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like how responsive the community manager are... Bravo!