Options

Next steps?

coextendingcoextending Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
So as I am finishing my Network+ studies, I realized I needed to figure out which path I want to take after getting this entry level certification.

I looked at CISSP route and it seems like that's not the type of work I want.
I plan on getting Security+ then MCSA then I really want to get into the line of cyber security analyst so I am definitely looking into CySA+ but after that where should I go? I was thinking the GIAC route. What would you recommend to someone who likes cyber security but doesn't like managerial work.

Comments

• Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on what you like and what you want to do in your career. I started out in networking, then moved to server administration. I am now working in a job that does both, but relies heavily on networking, especially WAN technologies with security. So I am studying for my CCNA and want to continue into CCNA Security and CCNA wireless. I like networking and also like Linux, so my future plans revolve around these studies.

What is it about CISSP you don't like and what is it about CySA+ that you do like? That might help you determine what you want to do.

What about CEH, penitration testing, etc?

Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    What is it about CISSP you don't like and what is it about CySA+ that you do like? That might help you determine what you want to do.

Based on the CISSP objectives it is more of manage this, legal standards, governance committees, etc. CySA+ has honeypot objectives, reverse engineering, vulnerability scans, false positives, etc.
  • Options
    OK, so you want hands on. That's the same with me, I would rather have my hands on it than manage it. Have you looked at CEH?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Someone recommend OSCP over CEH but I couldn't find good materials for it in terms of self study.
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with OSCP, but it is definitely worth looking into.