Options

Finished CCNA Networking Academy

unwritt3nunwritt3n Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well i finally successfully finished the CCNA Networking Academy, now I'm gonna put my head down into studying for my certification!

Im lookin at doing the the 640-801 instead of the other 2.

What do you guys recommend for study?? Is revising the networking academy material any good, or should i look into something better??? Any good free online stuff?

thanks
Studying: 70-290, CCNP 1, CCSP 1

Comments

• Options
    pannupanditpannupandit Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well cisco network academy programme is very good for preparation.It has everything related to test. now just do practise on some simulations.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Agreed. Unlike Microsoft, CIsco curriculum books give you all the information you need to know to pass the test. Now all you need to learn are the skills to apply that knowledge.

Know your command syntax. The test sims may have all the relevant help as you would on a real router/switch, but you dont' have time to poke around.

Do any practice sim labs you can find. Even an overly simplistic or outdated one will get you some practice in troubleshooting and configuration.

I found Cisco's prep center helpful. Do some of their sample labs. http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/PrepCenter?page=main
  • Options
    ok thanks guys,

i have access to many diff model switches, routers and adtrans at my TAFE where i do the Net Academy. I can go in there any day for 8 hours if i want.. but i work part time like 30hrs a week, so that will help me alot with the practical sim side of things!!!

So u guys reckon just the Net Acad content would be more then enuf to just go through several times!?

cheers
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really liked the Cisco Academy, but felt like it didn't quite prepare me for the actual test. Grab a simple book like the Exam Cram and skim through one of them to supplement your knowledge. you should then be well prepared. Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    unwritt3n wrote:
    So u guys reckon just the Net Acad content would be more then enuf to just go through several times!?
    The Network Academy Courseware was more than enough for me -- I passed the CCNA 2 days after my CCNA 4 final. :D But test taking skill are also important for the CCNA.... and how badly you get the pre-test jitters. icon_lol.gif

If you averaged 95% or better -- review all the module exam questions for all the courses. And you should be able to pass on your first attempt. One of my classmates averaged a 96% and passed by 30 points.

Under 95%.... maybe a review of the Sybex book (and practice subnetting) would be "more fun" than going through the Academy Courseware again. And review all your module exam questions (hopefully your instructor has that option set). Go through NAT again in the courseware or download the Sybex NAT update.

Under 90%.... same as 95% -- but pay more attention to the material, maybe review the modules you did poorly on. Doing more lab work may help.

Under 80%.... you might want to get a Network+ book and try that exam first...

Different Academies can have different grading scales -- so your mileage may vary.

The CCNA exam does kick it up a notch, espcially in the tricky question category.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    well these are my results wat i averaged:

CCNA 1: 92%
    CCNA 2: 89%
    CCNA 3: 82%
    CCNA 4: 87%

I mite grab that sybex book, and go in to my NetAcad facility and use the hardware for some labs.

The policy at my Net Academy was nothing under 75% and that if u failed a chapter test, the instructor gave u approx 3 extra labs to do, to make sure u understood it before resitting..

tbh, i stuffed up on my VLSM in ccna 3, ACLs in CCNA 2, and ISDN/DDR in CCNA 4. I have really pushed myself and now fully understand them much better now. Definalty going to be concentrating alot on my weak areas.
  • Options
    buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I recall, you definitely want to be sharp on your VLSM. I think it indirectly came into play on a lot of questions when I took the exam. Not to mention its something you want to be solid on, moving forward with networking :)
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)