Options

Best Books on Each Version of Windows Server

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
A long time ago, I read Inside Windows 2000 Server by William Boswell.  This has been the best book that I have ever read on Windows Server, Active Directory, Kerberos, etc.  Boswell updated the book for Windows Server 2003 and got a job at Microsoft and the rest is history.  I couldn't find my original book... it got lost in the 3-4 moves that I had since then so I bought a used copy of the 2003 book.

This got me thinking... I'd like to find the absolute best book on each version of Windows Server that goes in depth about the core technologies, like Active Directoy ( Directory Services, Lightweight Directory Services, Federation Services, and Certificate Services), changes in Kerberos, GPOs, and migration strategies.

Does anyone of recommendations for 2008, 2012, and 2016?

Keep in mind... definitely not looking for certification material here (it would have to be exceptional if that were its goal).  This is 400+ level type material that I am looking for.

I have had to start resorting to old books to learn more in-depth about technologies, despite the book being out of date, like ADAM/LDS and ADFS.  There just aren't recent books that really get deep into the topics.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What about reading Microsoft whitepapers?  I remember studying for 70-642 for Server 2008, and I read the entire whitepaper on DirectAccess.  I also read the whitepaper for BitLocker when I was working on my Bachelor's Capstone.  Granted they are not an entire compilation, but they are usually very verbose.  For myself, I usually read the cert guides on Safari Online, as that is included through my employer.  Although you said you weren't looking for cert material, I have heard the books by William Panek are very good.  I know those books usually have close to 1000 pages.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College