Starting to study for INCD1

heezyhuynh404heezyhuynh404 Posts: 23Registered Users ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently passed my Sec + few days ago, I'm moving into INCD1, using Todd Lammle INCD1 guide, kind of a boring read compare to how Darril Gibson writes his books for the Sec +, any suggestions that helped you all passed INCD1 will greatly help me! I'm currently deployed to the middle east so obtaining a lab will be difficult for me, I don't have A+ or Net+ but I have taken networking classes in college and also have my MTA in networking.

Comments

  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 California Kid Posts: 2,800Mod Mod
    Since you don’t have access to a physical lab, check out Cisco’s Packet Tracer. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • heezyhuynh404heezyhuynh404 Posts: 23Registered Users ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 said:
    Since you don’t have access to a physical lab, check out Cisco’s Packet Tracer. 
    Roger, thanks!
  • SpiegelSpiegel Taco Tuesday FLPosts: 294Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as reading materials is concerned I recommend Wendell Odom's  CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide. The language he uses in the book is easier to read, giving the feeling like he's having a conversation with you.

    I'm in the middle of studying for my ICND1 and that book has been great so far, use it along side packet tracer to practice what you're reading. If your budge allows it I also recommend getting CBTNuggets and follow the CCENT videos with Jeremy Cioara. He'll clarify the materials you're reading and he's also fun to listen too (sidenote: he speaks and moves really quickly so be ready to pause and rewind a couple of times).
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [In-Progress]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S
    Currently Working On: CCDA


    2019 Goals: CCENT [X], CCNA R&S [X], CCNA Security [ ], CCDA [ ]
    Future Certs: LPI Linux Essentials | Project+| CCNP R & S | CCNP Security | MDAA
  • heezyhuynh404heezyhuynh404 Posts: 23Registered Users ■■■□□□□□□□
    Spiegel said:
    As far as reading materials is concerned I recommend Wendell Odom's  CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide. The language he uses in the book is easier to read, giving the feeling like he's having a conversation with you.

    I'm in the middle of studying for my ICND1 and that book has been great so far, use it along side packet tracer to practice what you're reading. If your budge allows it I also recommend getting CBTNuggets and follow the CCENT videos with Jeremy Cioara. He'll clarify the materials you're reading and he's also fun to listen too (sidenote: he speaks and moves really quickly so be ready to pause and rewind a couple of times).
    Thanks! I'll check into it! 
  • RoyaltyRoyalty Posts: 8Registered Users ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    If you are going to get the Cisco Press books, make sure you watch a set of videos first; the books are very complicated in explaining some topics and it can really halt your study. In my opinion, the books should be one of the last pieces of study material to use, just prior to practice questions.
    I highly recommend a video set, a good book (Cisco Press) and Boson or MeasureUp practice questions. Bear in mind, some vendors of practice questions actually create their content to be, and really is, harder than the actual exam.

    When I was studying for my CCNA ICND1, I used the following material:
    • CBT Nuggets - Jeremy Cioara's ICND1 v3 CCNA course.
    • CCNA 2018 200-125 Video Boot Camp with Chris Bryant - Udemy
    • Wendell Odom's CCNA (100-105 and 200-105) Cisco Press Book.
    • Ryan Beney's CCENT/CCNA R&S ICNDv3 100-105 Video Course - YouTube
    • MeasureUp ICND1 100-105 Practice Questions.

    Overall I overstudied for the exam, but doing well on a certification which will lay the foundation of your knowledge for networking is very important.

    I wish you the best of luck, and happy holidays!


  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Senior Member Posts: 399Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I found the Boson material especially helpful as it's well-structured and very organized.

    Also, their practice exams are a bit more difficult than the exam itself, so if you can master those, it puts you in a really good position.
  • heezyhuynh404heezyhuynh404 Posts: 23Registered Users ■■■□□□□□□□
    Royalty said:
    If you are going to get the Cisco Press books, make sure you watch a set of videos first; the books are very complicated in explaining some topics and it can really halt your study. In my opinion, the books should be one of the last pieces of study material to use, just prior to practice questions.
    I highly recommend a video set, a good book (Cisco Press) and Boson or MeasureUp practice questions. Bear in mind, some vendors of practice questions actually create their content to be, and really is, harder than the actual exam.

    When I was studying for my CCNA ICND1, I used the following material:
    • CBT Nuggets - Jeremy Cioara's ICND1 v3 CCNA course.
    • CCNA 2018 200-125 Video Boot Camp with Chris Bryant - Udemy
    • Wendell Odom's CCNA (100-105 and 200-105) Cisco Press Book.
    • Ryan Beney's CCENT/CCNA R&S ICNDv3 100-105 Video Course - YouTube
    • MeasureUp ICND1 100-105 Practice Questions.

    Overall I overstudied for the exam, but doing well on a certification which will lay the foundation of your knowledge for networking is very important.

    I wish you the best of luck, and happy holidays!


    Thanks so much for this input! I agree with you on over studying because I used so much videos sets and books for my sec + and I barely passed so I’m going to over study on INCD1 also!
  • RoyaltyRoyalty Posts: 8Registered Users ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited December 2018
    Thanks so much for this input! I agree with you on over studying because I used so much videos sets and books for my sec + and I barely passed so I’m going to over study on INCD1 also!

     I remember my Security+ days. Darril Gibson's book was the stuff!
  • AlwaysDogsAlwaysDogs A+, Network+, ITILv3, CCNA: R&S Posts: 7Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used Todd Lammle's CCNA R&S Complete Study Guide and Chris Bryant's CCNA videos to pass the CCENT, along with Boson's Network Sim.

    I kind of regretted buying Chris Bryant's videos at first, because it felt weird. Up until this point I only used free sources for videos. I found I really enjoyed his teaching style, presentation, and I will more than likely purchase courses from him in the future.

    Packet Tracer is really nice, but I did not use it too much while studying for the CCENT, but am using it much more now that I am studying for the ICND2. It can be a tad awkward before you get accustomed to it. It is missing a few commands, all the CDP stuff that isn't just turning it on or off. It is super annoying when you run into this while using it, but the vast majority of CCENT stuff is available.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Posts: 587Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being that you have Todd Lammle's Study Guide, and Packet Tracer, take a look at this thread.
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/117496


  • heezyhuynh404heezyhuynh404 Posts: 23Registered Users ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ltat42a said:
    Being that you have Todd Lammle's Study Guide, and Packet Tracer, take a look at this thread.


    THANK YOU!
Sign In or Register to comment.