Options

1 Jan WGU Start.

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2019

Congrats @MrsWilliams!!!

I definitely have been waiting for your review. I plan on starting the program in May, I don't know if I could finish the program in two months lol but I am definitely hoping to progress quickly. I don't have a ton of experience in Cybersecurity, but I do have a lot of time on my hands where I can put in the work. I appreciate all your helpful tips, it's definitely motivation to be able to finish in one semester.

Time can trump experience. You know why? Because you have the time to devote to reading and research. You ultimately have an advantage. You can research the topics that you lack the knowledge in. I only gave my personal opinion based on the 100+ universities in the world. I like WGU, yeah I never thought I'd say it, but I like WGU. But, the reasons for me liking WGU is solely based on cost and the limitless course work. If WGU was a state university charging in-state or out rates, I would have never considered WGU.

To me it is about how far my money will stretch...or the companies money will stretch.

I wrote a lot more, but once I realized I couldn't copy and paste it all, I just exited out of the Word doc without saving. Maybe I was mad, I don't know. Time can be used as an advantage. Don't let me discourage you. Everyone has a unique situation that has advantages and disadvantages. 

You are one of those jumping into the CyBeRsEcUrItY FiElD hugh? B)

As long as you have motivation and time, you can be successful. My opinion means absolutely nothing. Your desire to obtain a graduate degree means something. I have seen people who did this degree in 45 days and less.

I only stated what worked for me and I suggest. Because I have in the past obtained student loans. The underlying reasoning for my harsh statements is simple. Experience. Who wants a student loan that occurs interest? Who wants a student loan that if you go default and don't make payments you could possibly lose your clearance if you have one? Who wants a student loan that can destroy your credit (if not paid)? Out of school, you have 6 months to start making payments. If you want the government to pay your student loans, you have to show like 100,000,000 on time payments. Whatever the number is, by the time you paid 100,000,000 payments most people (who don't pay the minimal every month) should have an undergrad paid off. Long story short, I don't want my fellow TechExam'ers getting into financial hardship over a piece of paper. That paper means nothing if you are head-over-heals in bills. Most companies will pay a few thousand. For instance, my direct supervisor can approve like 5,500. My supervisor above him can approve like 15K. But, if you leave like most companies that money has to be paid back/prorated. I basically stated what I said above because most companies in the world won't pay 20K+ for school. I don't want people to have student loans. Look at the job progress boards and job boards (if you believe them all), 20K is a good portion of some peoples salary. So, why spend it on school if it isn't giving you a 20K RAISE..

It is all about a return of investment. Whatever my salary range was before March 1, 2019 has changed. My salary range just went UP! The Information Technology Field is competitive. We must remain competitive. Someone asked me what were my qualifications on another post..If this isn't an interview and as long as this is the world wide web, I am keeping that to myself. All I see is icons and made up names  Lol. I don't know who you are..Do you know how many fake social media sites I have? Several my friend. 
  • Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very True! I just have to make sure I am taking advantage of the time that I do have. I actually work in IT now and I have my degree in Computer Science. I just haven't held any type of Security role. That's kind of the purpose of trying to get the Master in hopes of it helping me land a job in Security. My current job is pretty relaxed and just want to take advantage of the situation I am in now. Another good point you made that I liked was that you knocked this out and can always go to a state school if you want to learn more or get another degree. I was really debating between this program and state school cuz I would get instate tuition, but I think that comment sealed the deal. I can always enroll in another program if I choose to.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Very True! I just have to make sure I am taking advantage of the time that I do have. I actually work in IT now and I have my degree in Computer Science. I just haven't held any type of Security role. That's kind of the purpose of trying to get the Master in hopes of it helping me land a job in Security. My current job is pretty relaxed and just want to take advantage of the situation I am in now. Another good point you made that I liked was that you knocked this out and can always go to a state school if you want to learn more or get another degree. I was really debating between this program and state school cuz I would get instate tuition, but I think that comment sealed the deal. I can always enroll in another program if I choose to.
    First and foremost, you probably do something SeCuRiTy related and don't even realize it. Secondly, on a good portion of job boards it says  something along the lines of:
    Bachelor's or X years of experience. 
    Master's or X years of experience. 

In some requisitions, a graduate degree minimizes the number of years required, as experience. If you are applying for Help Desk, you are overqualified with a graduate degree. So, it has good and bad. If you are applying for a government job, no matter what a graduate degree will give you an advantage over your undergrad peers. If you are at a job with a lot of free time, then knock this degree out. Beat my record. ..and if I don't see screenshots, it didn't happen  :s>:). You should take advantage of your free time and put it to use. Depending on what you are applying for job wise can dictate if you list your gradate degree or not. Follow your heart! But, don't ever get complacent! I know many of people who went through budget cuts and layoffs. Then they have trouble finding a job...but in all reality they had the opportunities/time to become marketable and didn't take advantage of it. 

When it's time for yearly reviews, I always try to have a leg up on my fellow coworkers. That is just me. I'll get a certification and don't nobody know I have it. Why tell them? You think I am going to work and saying I have a graduate degree now? Nope. Does Tom Brady tell the opposing team his plays before he makes them? Nope. Welp, I am not either. 
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□

CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats @MrsWilliams! I definitely wouldn't blow off a WGU degree, it's still an accomplishment. I've seen a couple other progress threads but I think I liked yours the most as it was the most in-depth and candid. I do agree with you though. The faster you finish, the more value you get out of a WGU degree and everyone I know that goes to WGU isn't doing it to learn, it's to validate the experience you have and check a box so you can get past an HR filter for your next promotion.

Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • Options
    edited March 2019
     thaiguy314 said:
    congrats @MrsWilliams! I definitely wouldn't blow off a WGU degree, it's still an accomplishment. I've seen a couple other progress threads but I think I liked yours the most as it was the most in-depth and candid. I do agree with you though. The faster you finish, the more value you get out of a WGU degree and everyone I know that goes to WGU isn't doing it to learn, it's to validate the experience you have and check a box so you can get past an HR filter for your next promotion.

I am trying to plan out my next move. This one individual would have to quit for me to get promoted. So, I am looking at options. I don't know where I'll be in 90 days, but it won't be in the position I currently hold. The position I currently hold is a resume killer. I am not one to hold the same title on a resume for X number of years without any sort of promotion. That is just me though. That means I am complacent. 

Off Topic: I've spend quite a bit of time in Thailand. Mostly Pattaya, a little Bangkok, and maybe a week in Phuket. Pattaya, I prefer Jomtien, off of the main busy area surrounding Pattaya. Bangkok just has to much traffic. It's an airport about 45 minutes from Pattaya, which is good. Technically it's on a military base, but whatever..Bangkok has more routes for traveling so I am not sure I'd use Pattaya airport again. 

Thanks for stopping by. 

• Options
    Attention:

Once you complete your Capstone, your course assignments lock. I logged in to retrieve a few of my last submissions, they were not available. The only thing available was the score sheets.

Just FYI

• Options
    Do all the courses have a pre and post assessment? Also is the post assessment like a test over the course material?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Please look at the screenshot for a better understanding:

O-Objective Assessment - You have a Pre Assessment that you take that is allegedly supposed to gauge how ready you are for the Objective Assessment. You can request to take the Objective Assessment without passing the pre-assessment though. I am glad you asked this question. You can go back and review the questions on the pre-assessment. When review I mean write them down. I have found answers on the objective assessment that were on the pre-assessment. So, even if someone fails the pre-assessment, I recommend writing down the answers and studying them. On another note, if you have the desire...for me the pre-assessments it was (some) duplicate answers from one to another. Take it how you want. The pre-assessment means absolutely nothing. So, if your mentor (suggests) you pass the pre-assessment first, just go back and write down the answers and re-take it. Please do some sort of studying because it will also be some new material and you are a student..who should study!? The pre-assessment is not proctored. You can do it in your bathroom. The objective assessment is a proctored event through ProctorU. Yes, the OA covers the material.

No matter if the OA is for a certification exam, or course material it is still proctored through ProctorU.

Only the O-Objective Assessment has a pre-assessment. The rest are papers that have to be written. You can for understanding use the P for paper in the screenshot. 

You also have to remember that I started 1 Jan. Since that time, the entire program has changed. So, the exact list of classes I took aren't available. 

Good time for this: The WGU webcam is garbage!!! The iPhone 1 with peanut butter on the lens has a better webcam. I bought a, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Widescreen for about 50 bucks on amazon and it was awesome!

Assessment Services can approve your first objective assessment. Your first OA, is the key word. I had them approve one on a Saturday through WGU Chat. If you fail, the next has to be approved by your mentor./
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.  Now I am mad I used 4 months to do mine :)
  • Options
    @bluecodex that's still really good! a masters in 4 months
  • Options
    The bottom  the WGU degree is signed Governor Jim Geringer. 

He used to be the governor of Wyoming. He hasn't been the governor for about 16 years.

How do you feel about people who once held a political office, still using a political title in the signature?

I personally don't feel that an (OLD) political designation should be affiliated with a degree that thousands of students get a  year. I think it should be a separation between duties of the past and current duties. 

You can also see he was a republican. What if I am a democrat?

If he was the current governor, I wouldn't be writing this right now. 
  • Options
    To be fair he isn't pretending to be a current Governor.  Is being a Governor like a President where you never lose your title?  No matter who signs it--their will always be the issue of political affiliation.  To me personally, who cares.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The current governor signs his name Governor (insert name here) the past governor signs his name Governor (Insert name here).  

It's wouldn't be an issue of political affiliation if nobody knew the political affiliation. I have more than one degree and I have never googled the signatures at the bottom until one listed GOVERNOR. So, I cannot see how it would always be an issue of political affiliation. I am totally confused. 

This isn't even debatable ;)

Thanks for your personal opinion ..Have a wonderful day 
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Many US governmental office holders retain their titles for life. If you look at the origin of WGU it makes even more sense for a former Governor to use the title when signing a WGU diploma.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I still received a graduate degree for under 4K, in 2 months so I am not thinking to much on it. I don't "care" that much. :D>:) @Blucodex

@JDMurray
    I had no idea WGU was founded by 19 governors   :open_mouth:

That has brought all of the pieces to the puzzle together. Thank You Kind Sir.. I just thought it was interesting when I received the e-diploma. Thank you for your answer. I was so shocked when I seen it that I didn't do any research. I do apologize. 

Have a wonderful day. 

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much of the material do you retain in completing in 2 months?  
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    edited April 2019
    My assumption is if you can complete the degree in only two months then you must already know most of the information taught in the courses. My questions would be, "how much new information did you learn from the experience and what of it do you remember now?"
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    My assumption is if you can complete the degree in only two months then you must already know most of the information taught in the courses. My questions would be, "how much new information did you learn from the experience and what of it do you remember now?"

This.  If you can do it in 2 months it's most likely a checkbox for you.