My CCIE 2019 Journey

HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
After some soul searching over the holidays, I think its time I pursue the CCIE. Step one for most certs I've pursued has been a thread on TEs, so step 1: [check].

I've been in networking for about 15 years, and have been working in a senior role for about half of that. Over the years, I never felt ready to tackle the CCIE due to family, professional career, interest in other pursuits, etc. However, now I'm in a place where the CCIE makes sense. I've came to the end of traditional education with my undergrad, masters, and the MBA I'm 2 classes away from. Plus, I don't see any career progression coming from pursuing any other mid-level certifications outside of the ones I already have: (CCNP R&S, CCNA R&S/Wireless/Security, CISSP). For the past few months, I've been considering pursuing the RHCSA for the Linux exposure, and then pivot into a Devops type role. However, the desire for a CCIE keeps pulling me back into these threads. Even if the cert is losing some of its power, it's something I always said I would obtain, so this is something I need to do more for myself than anything else. 

As for studying, I will be using the following: 

- A nuc8i5 w/ 32 gig of ram running eve-ng as a vm on esxi 6.7 (INE's topology running on vIOS images)
          - INE AAP
          - Skillsoft subscription for reading (First four books: CCIE OCGv1&2, TCP/IPv1&2)
          - Cisco 360 
          - Quizlet for flashcards (I would like Anki, but I can access Quizlet when I study at work)

The game plan is to take the written August 2019, and then the first attempt at the lab in December 2019. 

CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck in your pursuit!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • heatmizer6heatmizer6 Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • mtjikuzumtjikuzu Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck!!
  • iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck.. if you need INE token... i have 6600 token to give away.. chat me up
  • jimmyp83jimmyp83 Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • stevehollowaysteveholloway Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    iseeyou said:
    Good luck.. if you need INE token... i have 6600 token to give away.. chat me up
    Have any of these available?
  • iseeyouiseeyou Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes.. still available
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□