Options

Travel

IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
how far do you travel a day to your job? what is the furthest you have traveled for a job?

Ive had a couple of phone interviews recently but the job's are always at least 1hr+ travel one way away. Am I being to stubborn about the mileage? I know I need a better job, my current job is good, but the pay sucks royal ass. Speaking of which its time to goto work. icon_sad.gif
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I recently moved and now I only have to drive 30 minutes each way, but for two years I drove an hour each way, 5 days a week.

It's not so bad, I actually enjoy the time to listen to music and wake up a little before actually going to work.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first tech job was 2.5 hrs away, my father gave me a lift to the train startion 20 mins, wait for train 10mins, train to city centre 40 mins, wait for second train 15 mins, second train journey 15 mins, wait for bus 15mins, bus journey 30mins, 10 min walk and i arrived.I did this for about 5 months until i got my drivers licence then it was only 1.5hrs.
    So the distance is proportional to your desire for the job.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I worked only 3 minutes walking from house for a couple of years. Even got a company car to cover the couple of hunderd meters. Apart from that one I usually had to drive for at least 1 hour, usually more like 1.5 or 2. With a single jam along the way it quickly became more. I hated it, but would do it all over again if I'd have to.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Sounds like me Johan, I am about a 6 minute walk. My first job was an hour drive once I moved away from the city. During the summer, It was about a 40 oz of beer ride home.
  • Options
    During the summer, It was about a 40 oz of beer ride home.

drunken_smilie.gif
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well for me it all depends on the London Underground - notorious for delays.

On a good day 55 minutes door to door. On a bad day - well thats anyones guess.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have lived anywhere from 7 minutes to about 35 minute drive from work. Currently it's about 25-35 depending on traffic. For a while, I was working out-of-town where I had a 2 hour 1-way drive. My company at the time offered lousy per diem that barely covered a hotel room with nothing left over for gas or food. I did that for about 3 months, driving to the location on Monday, staying in a hotel Mon and Tues night, drive home Wednesday night to see my family for an evening then back up on Thurs morning and come home Friday evening. I was losing money so for the next three months I worked it out where my company paid 1-way windshield time and gas/oil change. I drove back and forth every day for the next 3 months. It sucked too... glad it's over, no way I would do that again.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    I only have about 15 minutes to work each day...the interview I have will be about 40 minutes away if I am offered anything and accept...

It's nice to be close, but I prefer to stick to the 30-45 minute mark for a drive if I have to go farther...I know people who travel over an hour each way and like it...maybe it gives them time to relax while driving, who knows...
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't go further than an hour unless it was necessary.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    /usr wrote:
    Personally, I wouldn't go further than an hour unless it was necessary.

Yeah, I would say an hour max for me also. That would be worse case scenerio.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    Thats my problem im away from the city, so to get any kind of a decent job its quite the drive. i was kinda hoping to find something a little closer to home, but as I have been noticing the last few weeks on various job search sites that looks like its not going to happen. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and be willing to do the hour drive each way.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It takes me 30 minutes or so to get to work- its nice to listen to some music, drink some coffee before I head into work.

Before that- 2 years and a 3 minute walk...
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    30 minutes to get to my current job. I could get there in 15 if traffic was decent. Starting at 8am sucks for traffic. I have driven an hour before, but that was my max.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I live about 50 miles away from work, takes me anywhere from 1hr 20 minutes to 1 hr 40m. Housing is MUCH cheaper where I live, and I bought when housing was more affordable. The long commute is why I bought a Prius.

The irony is, when I lived in NY and worked only 5-20 minutes away from home, I laughed at one of my bosses that lived in eastern LI and took him about an hour and a half or more. Of course he avoided some of the rush hour by coming in at 10 instead of 9 like the rest of us.