Options

Just beginning

atday08atday08 Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all!

I am just beginning my studies for the compTIA A+. My goal is to have the exams done and passed by September.

I decided that after applying a few times for entry level positions over the years and not getting the job I needed to do something to give myself a better chance.

From everything that I have read A+ is the best way to get my foot in the door and get the job experience people want. Ultimately I think that I want to get into networking, this is where I get a little lost.

What is the best path for me to take to get from where I am now, working in a local credit union, to where I want to be which is in IT?

I appreciate any help and look forward to being a part of this community!

Comments

• Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited February 2019
    Absolutely getting a certification at this level will help you get your foot in the door. What makes you think you want to get into networking? How much experience do you have with troubleshooting PCs or networks (even at home or for family and friends counts). That isn't a dig at you. Just that any experience is good experience.

Get that first position and then start studying for either Network+ (vendor neutral and a top level view of a lot of networking) or CCENT which is more in-depth but focused on Cisco gear. That isn't a bad thing at all as I've seen some of the same commands on HP switches but the theory is still the same. 

Oh and welcome to the TE family! Don't be afraid to ask questions around here. :)
  • Options
    Thanks AvgITGeek, I have minimal experience. I use google as a tool at this point and have done more things along the lines of swapping power supplies on friends PCs after diagnosing that as the issue, building my own computers, but other than that not a whole lot of experience.

I attended school for a short time and was mostly focused on programming which I'm not sure I could get the hang of.

As far as what makes me thing networking is what I want to get into, I'm still so unsure, and I feel like the end goal will become more clear once I get my feet wet in something even as simple as help desk.
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey, that is experience none the less. Troubleshooting and then fixing the problem!

Search youtube for a video from NetworkChuck about Network+ or CCENT. Some good information there.
  • Options
    Love Network Chuck, I found him recently while trying to get some information, i'll look up that video.

Thank you!
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    atday08 said:
    From everything that I have read A+ is the best way to get my foot in the door and get the job experience people want. Ultimately I think that I want to get into networking, this is where I get a little lost.

A+ is the best way to get a helpdesk position. Not sure I would say it's the best way to get your foot in the door when it comes to Networking.

If you do want to focus on Networking, then I would heavily suggest you study the Network+ material. You don't have to necessarily take the exam but just be firm on the concepts and processes.

Suggested Steps:
    1. Network+ (study - test only if you specifically wish)
    2. ICND1
    3. Find a NOC position (or some other functional networking position - but NOC is great because you can study)
    4. ICND2
    5. Find new position & leave NOC (or other position)
    6. Keep learning
    7. Keep moving

• Options
    Thanks Montague, I appreciate the input here!
  • Options
    morleyeugenamorleyeugena Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi I am Morley
    Newly joined
  • Options
    Hey Morley!
    Nice to meet you!
  • Options
    amandacooperamandacooper Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello. I'm also new here=) 
  • Options