Should I leave two month job off my resume?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey Guys,

I was laid off from my job in February of this year, because the company lost a lot of business. 

Do I keep this job on my resume?  Would keeping this job on my resume hurt my chances of getting another position?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't remove it.

Better having to explain a "why" (not even your fault) than to create a two month window on the resume, in my opinion.

Also, depends on what the rest of your resume looks like.

Do you have a stable work history?
    Do you have more than 7 yrs of work history?
    Do you have in-demand skills?
    Do you have in-demand certs?
    Do you have degrees?

The more of those that get a "Yes", the more it won't matter if you have 1 random job on your resume that just happens to last only 2 months.

If your skills/experience/resume is so good that you wouldn't even worry about a two month window, then it's that good you shouldn't even worry about a two month position since the same items apply. Looks better working than not working though.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I would remove it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited February 2019
    I have a 3 month and a 2 month job listed and it doesn't hurt me at all.......

I also have a 5, 3 and 2 (years)....   I don't list more than 10 years of experience.  They are sandwiched in between longer efforts so maybe that's why.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't remove it.

Better having to explain a "why" (not even your fault) than to create a two month window on the resume, in my opinion.

Do you have degrees?

The more of those that get a "Yes", the more it won't matter if you have 1 random job on your resume that just happens to last only 2 months.

If your skills/experience/resume is so good that you wouldn't even worry about a two month window, then it's that good you shouldn't even worry about a two month position since the same items apply. Looks better working than not working though.
    Do you have a stable work history? Yes, maybe some jobs have a 6 month gap.

Do you have more than 7 yrs of work history? Yes, but it is not all IT related.  Also, the last 7 years is not listed on my resume.

Do you have in-demand skills? Not sure how in demand they are.  
    Help desk, customer service, deskside support, remote support, and phone support.
    Troubleshooting experience with Windows,Microsoft office, VPNs, propriety applications,  and network connection issues.

Not sure
    A+,Sec+,Net+
    Microsoft MTA certs.  Microsoft certified professional

Do you have degrees? Yes
    Associate
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suppose you could ask whatever recruiter you're working with. Personally I would not include a position that only lasted 2 months on the resume.
  • MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't remove it.

Do you have degrees?

Do you have a stable work history? Yes, maybe some jobs have a 6 month gap.

Do you have more than 7 yrs of work history? Yes, but it is not all IT related.  Also, the last 7 years is not listed on my resume.

Do you have in-demand skills? Not sure how in demand they are.  
    Help desk, customer service, deskside support, remote support, and phone support.
    Troubleshooting experience with Windows,Microsoft office, VPNs, propriety applications,  and network connection issues.

Not sure
    A+,Sec+,Net+
    Microsoft MTA certs.  Microsoft certified professional

Do you have degrees? Yes
    Associate

I hope answering all of those rhetorical questions in writing helped you come to your conclusion.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with having several short jobs on my resume. If you're confident in your skills, history, and edu. then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's not relevant to the post you are applying for, I would remove it. If it is, then include it. 
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]