Ertaz's RHCSA Journey.

ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm going for this cert in order to give myself some Linux related chest hair.  I'm going to use this thread to keep myself accountable.  I've started the first two sections of Sander van Vugt video series on Safari Books.
I plan on testing at the end of April.   I'll try to update this a couple of times per week till I'm done. 

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck!!! I've been eyeing this one as well as I'm trying to solidify my Linux skills as well.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 said:
    Good luck!!! I've been eyeing this one as well as I'm trying to solidify my Linux skills as well.
    I appreciate it man.  Also, thank you for beating LSU yesterday, makes our path to the regular season title much more realistic. 
    Friday Update:  Went through Lesson 3 of 26.  Basic file management, (tar,cp, mv, ...).  Nice refresher.  Fairly confident with these.  Will do Chapter 4 tomorrow.   
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds really cool, best of luck.
    Chapter 4/5 today. Grep, sed and awk, then some sudo config.   I need to get back on the regex wagon.... 
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hehe, you said, chest hair...I am sure RedHat will probably give you gray chest hairs
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Positive challenge to take on. It will be worth it when you are done.
    Finally got my subscription to Safari books lined out.  I am now reviewing chapter 4&5 again today.  It didn't seem to take last time.  
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    how much did that cost?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    shochan said:
    how much did that cost?
    I think retail is $399 for a year.  I paid $199, with a coupon.  I think it can be had for less through memberships in professional organizations. Work is paying and I needed the points. ;)
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ertaz said:
    Finally got my subscription to Safari books lined out.  I am now reviewing chapter 4&5 again today.  It didn't seem to take last time.  
    I know what feeling all too well!
    Have completed chapters 6, 7, and 8.  My knowledge is so dated and incomplete.  I was fortunate to take a look at this.  This course is valuable even if you don't plan on testing.  
    Long time, no update.  Chapter 14 file system management, good stuff here. I'm feeling a little better about the content.  I plan on finishing the rest over the next two weeks.  So grueling...  
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    You're making good time! How are you feeling about the test in a few weeks?
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    You're making good time! How are you feeling about the test in a few weeks?
    Don't feel ready.  I made the mistake of thinking I already knew most of this stuff because I've managed other Linux/UNIX boxes for a number of years.  I grossly underestimated the amount of new content and different methods I'd be learning.

I found out that work has changed our training budget for the year, but they won't release the numbers until early May.  I'm thinking that I'll be restricted to one cert in this "cut-back" year and I don't know if I want this to be it. 
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Hmm, I agree that the RHCSA might not be my number one pick if I only had one cert to pick this year. Which others were you considering? 
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
    Hmm, I agree that the RHCSA might not be my number one pick if I only had one cert to pick this year. Which others were you considering? 
    I need to renew my GIAC in 2020, but there is no budget for that. I need to renew my CCNA Cyber Ops before then too.   I suppose I could do a CCNA R&S, but man that feels like a waste.  
    In the battle of renewing existing cert or taking a new one. Which won?
    Swift6 said:
    In the battle of renewing existing cert or taking a new one. Which won?
    Still being fought.  Budget is no closer to being released today it seems. 
    Keep us posted.
    With the addition of RHEL 8,  I will wait and take that exam.    I'm bowing out.  Off to a cloud cert to appease my corporate overlords.