Options

Dissertation Process and the 5 process areas of PMP

VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings all -

Have the opportunity to take PMP. While some of my experience outside of school can count for PMP experience, my PhD encompasses all areas and could easily take that 4,500 hour requirement to task. I'll spare the details, but Initiating and Planning (PhD proposal), Execution (the research), Monitoring and Controlling (analysis), and Closing (defense). And let's not forget the dissertation (and any peer-reviewed publications) are unique deliverables.

Obviously I'd go into more detail on PMI, but the question is, has anyone ever heard of one claiming their dissertation process as experience for the PMP cert? I did call PMI, but they wouldn't specify/were not helpful (and had a bit of an attitude).

VV5
B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
J.D. Candidate (2L)
In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a creative idea. You might be able to pull off counting your PhD journey as PMP hours and I can't really offer any insight for that. It would be nearly impossible I think to get a job as a project manager with that as project management experience though.

I was on the fence about going after a PMP a couple of years ago and it would have been a "stretch" to count my project-like work experiences at the time towards the PMP. At the time I'd been on projects and I'd been the lead "student" for several class assignments, but I'd never been a PM. What convinced me to abandon the idea was looking at the excel spreadsheet used to track and submit hours. There's a couple of them out there on the Internet. Have you taken a look at one yet by any chance? Might change your perception.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah the class I'm in the instructor said she's going to send it. So I'll definitely post back.

VV5
    B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
    In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
    ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
    Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
    Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
    Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol