Options

Received a new offer

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Some of you might know I went for a fully remote position and was seriously bait and switched.  Brutal feeling, walked away from a 10,000 + bonus, a really good job and a wonderful 401k match plan, 6% while they match 9%, pretty much unheard of.  

Anyway I was able to recover, I had saving of ~10,000 in my checking account, most certainly not the 50% they recommend, but something nonetheless, besides my wife works as well which helps offset some of the financial burden. (More like evenly yoked).

The new position is a multitude of roles, SQL Dev, Functional and Technical Analysis, Architecture.  Really the directions are plentiful.  I indicated in the interview I wanted to get into solutions eventually.  (It was asked).  

Pay is the most I have ever made per hour.  This is a contract position, so no benefits, but the wife picks them up. The contract is an on going one and from what they said, as soon as management decides you are good fit they will convert to FTE.  The salary conversion rate will stay the same which is encouraging a lot of times it lessens due to benefits etc...….

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome!  Congrats on the new role.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! When do you start?
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Some of you might know I went for a fully remote position and was seriously bait and switched.  
    How does one avoid this in the future?
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    edited March 2019
    Kind of difficult to avoid the bait & switch issue unless you know someone in the new company. I encountered this issue in the past and it actually helped me to get a much better position because of my work ethic and experience.

Dbhead - congrats on the new position!
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2019
    Thanks @kaiju @AvgITGeek @NetworkingStudent

@Mikey88 that's the million dollar question.  I really vetted them hard while going through the interview process, including reiterating the important bullets for me in the job req.  The progression was strange, initially I was told to look at the reporting tool and start to learn the data model.  I ran into resistance and couldn't get managerial support to gain access so it went to the too bad so sad scenario and I was expected to work on powerpoint presentations and excel vlookup's.  Baby stuff...    

I have years of excel experiences, I've built full blown VBA / SQL solutions for AP folks for invoicing and all sorts of other forms of automation.  Using lookups in Excel was making me dumber and the powerpoint stuff was idiotic.  

Thankful to have moved on.   Start date is the 25th, I wanted 2 weeks off besides the kids are off the week before the 25th for spring break so that will be nice to hit the beach with them and do some other things.  

One other thing, the timing was perfect.  I quit in Feb and I am starting back in March, keeping the months flush so no dread gap questions.....   In my experience those are more uncomfortable to answer than short termed efforts.  Way more uncomfortable.

My recommendation is always quit on the first of the month, that will give you a ~60 to find a new job without incurring a gap.
  • Options
    MrsWilliamsMrsWilliams Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2019
    Thanks @kaiju @AvgITGeek @NetworkingStudent

@Mikey88 that's the million dollar question.  I really vetted them hard while going through the interview process, including reiterating the important bullets for me in the job req.  The progression was strange, initially I was told to look at the reporting tool and start to learn the data model.  I ran into resistance and couldn't get managerial support to gain access so it went to the too bad so sad scenario and I was expected to work on powerpoint presentations and excel vlookup's.  Baby stuff...    

I have years of excel experiences, I've built full blown VBA / SQL solutions for AP folks for invoicing and all sorts of other forms of automation.  Using lookups in Excel was making me dumber and the powerpoint stuff was idiotic.  

Thankful to have moved on.   Start date is the 25th, I wanted 2 weeks off besides the kids are off the week before the 25th for spring break so that will be nice to hit the beach with them and do some other things.  

One other thing, the timing was perfect.  I quit in Feb and I am starting back in March, keeping the months flush so no dread gap questions.....   In my experience those are more uncomfortable to answer than short termed efforts.  Way more uncomfortable.

My recommendation is always quit on the first of the month, that will give you a ~60 to find a new job without incurring a gap.
    Interesting. Never thought of it like that. 

When most people quit, I think either they:
    1. Are so fed up they leave without giving 2 weeks of notice. 

2. They don't necessarily hate the job. But they want to leave on good terms. So they give the company two weeks to find someone or for someone to be trained. 

3. They got fired.

I think for 1 and 2, it's impossible to leave on the 1st. For 2, it's possible as long as the new job, if they have one doesn't want them to start sooner. Some companies need to hire staff immediately, because of 1 and 2. A good portion of companies aren't going to wait 3-6 weeks for someone to start. They need a body in seat as soon as possible. I think companies do, respectfully accept the 2 week notice rule. In certain fields, per the contract they need to fill a certain number of roles. Some roles are more crucial than others..

• Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats @DatabaseHead. You never know what an opportunity holds unless you go for it.
    Hope it goes well.