Options

A/S serial port

the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
I'm new on home lab thingy. Got 3 of 2520. before I bought i thought 4 serial ports will be cool but when i got them i noticed there are 2 A/S serial ports which can only deal with low speed.
My question is, how can i use the a/s port? anything else i need to buy? does a/s serial only deal with modem?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    madonion wrote:
    My question is, how can i use the a/s port? anything else i need to buy? does a/s serial only deal with modem?
    They work just like the sync ports, but with slower/different speeds. If you set them for async, you could attach modems....

The regular lab cross-over cables work (unless you do want to attach modems).

When you set one up as a frame-relay switch and do hub-and-spoke, you could use the hub on a sync port and the spokes on the a/s ports.

For EIGRP I'll also setup one sync port and one a/s port to do the unequal cost load balancing.

You can also do multi-link over the a/s ports if you're using the sync ports for faster connections for other lab purposes.

You can also tunnel them all together over the LAN ports to build one larger frame-relay cloud ... which is what I'm doing with my CCIE lab so that I don't have to re-cable.

Most of the time I just run the serial links at 64kbps for compatibility

I have 1 10 port and 8 of the 4 port models -- and I love 'em.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    the_return_of_the_Ringthe_return_of_the_Ring Member Posts: 119
    u'r advise's always helpful. thanx, mike!
  • Options
    pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mike, I've been reading your posts for some time and am just curious about where you're located. I'm in Columbus OH and have CCIE aspirations (though I have a while to go). I work in a hospital and study mostly on this pile of routers and switches at my desk. I know you're doing the whole family & full time job thing. I'm still unattached and am fortunate to have a fair amount of time to study. :) Sounds like that doesn't phase you though.

Anyway, I figure that I'll be posting on this board for a few years to come so it's nice to know a little about the regulars! :)

Allan
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pizzafart wrote:
    where you're located.
    Chicago -- Northwest Suburbs
    pizzafart wrote:
    and have CCIE aspirations
    Me too! :D
    pizzafart wrote:
    Sounds like that doesn't phase you though.
    Caffeine... late nights. Lots of caffeine. Weekends... more caffeine. And the motivational Guinness in the refrigerator.... still backlogged 14. But if the Guinness is still on sale this week, I guess I should buy my motivation for the CCVP. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!