CySA+ Study Guide - Getting Started

Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□

Hi again.

So I've decided to pursue the CySA+ and I am looking for best study materials before spending money blindly on stuff which might not be useful.
 I am going for the CySA+ mainly because my other 3 CompTIA certs will expire in June 2020 so I guess 1 year would be enough studying to eventually pass the exam and renew the other 3 certs. Also other reason for deciding to go for CySA+ is because since passing my Sec+ almost 2 years ago I've kinda drifted away from IT and I feel I got a bit rusty with it. Probably the knowledge is there just needs refreshing. (I hope anyway)

I've got no IT field experience. I work currently as a Data Admin but that barely involves any IT. I passed A+, Net+ and Sec+ through self study and just because of a personal passion for computer science. (And eventually the hope to actually get my IT career started someday soon)
 The way I found it easier for me to study for the other 3 certs was by first reading one Study Guide/Book cover to cover and take notes of the important stuff. I used the Study Guides hand in hand with the Objectives document. Once I've read through the book, I carried on doing plenty Practice Exams and practice within a Virtual Machine with commands and everything.

Would the above study style work with CySA+ as well? Or do I have to adapt to a different style?

Now that you know enough about me, what materials would you advice me to use? I see there's 2 books, All-In-One one and Cybex on. What are your recommendations? 
 Is there any practice exams and/or practice labs that come any close to the actual exam ?

Thanks for reading and hope to get some helpful hints.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Udemy has a few good inexpensive video courses. Check em out.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cybrary is free.
  • Thoth_DhwtyThoth_Dhwty Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited April 2019
    I am looking at Jason Dion's Udemy course. It sells for 12.99£ until tomorrow night so might grab it in addition to a book and other free study material.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How is studying? I am starting to study for this one too...you're about 2-3mos into it, have you scheduled or taken your exam already?  cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dion Udemy Course 11h ( includes a full 117 page course notes to follow from dion and highlight )
    Brent Udemy Course 7.5h

very little seems to be free on cybrary anymore
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    triplea said:

very little seems to be free on cybrary anymore
    Really? Interesting though.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Think Im really going to struggle with this one.
    Seems to be a lot of knowledge, not much depth but VERY wide.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I have read in my cysa book..it has almost been a review of CEH material, with some cloud security thrown in...but yeah, maximum acronyms overload...heard lots of ppl that have taken the exam felt like they were failing the exam but ended up passing...I'm a gonna keep on keeping on & see about taking this one within the next 3mos.  CHEERS!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP