Options

One more group! SYO-501

clindellclindell Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All, I'm new here as I'm on my journey to get several certs completed.

I need more info as I failed on Exam #1 of the CompTIA SYO-501 with 710. I found the Perf based sims on their site not what I was expecting. My training is through another provider as part of a re-training grant and I'm not finding much support and need to find a community to work with and collaborate. I did a lot of reading and used quiz sims to get into the 90-100% range before my exam and felt pretty confident only to find 82 questions in 90 minutes tight for my expectations, 67 second per question seems unrealistic. I don't like the fact that all my materials are digital and I'm only able to listen to lectures and read PDF files.

How do you study and if you've failed and are retaking the exam how are you improving?

One of the most confusing questions was ID'ing a hacked file, anyone else have this question?

I had to identify a hacked file from one of three fields, the file was from a Linux system. Each of those fields had 4 files with a hash value and you’d drag that file to the single file as the selection/answer. The top had the path to the passwords folder and each of the 4 files were different hash values, the next was another section and all hashes were the same, the third section had 4 files and two matches of the 4.

I have not run into this requirement in my training guide and question my process if I missed something or is this a new question?

I welcome new thoughts and collaboration!

Best to all

Comments

• Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    Welcome to the forum, @clindell! I'm sorry to hear that you weren't successful in your first attempt at the SYO-501. I'm planning on taking the exam this summer, so I've been hunting around for some good study materials for a while. I'm planning to use a mix of online and physical study materials. I'll be buying this book, which is the official CompTIA study guide. I'll also probably be taking advantage of the videos on Infosec Skills once I get closer to the date of the exam. You should find plenty of threads in the Security+ category that can provide you with more advice!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • Options
    clindellclindell Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Please recheck the book you noted as it's for SYO-401 and you need 501
  • Options
    CarrieDCCarrieDC Registered Users Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used Mike Chapple's study guide from certmike.com, Get Certified, Get Ahead Sec+ SY0-501 by Darril Gibson, practice tests from Exam Cram SY0-501 by Diane Barrett & Marty Weiss then incorporated the Lynda.com videos by Mike Chapple and I passed my first attempt with a score of 802. All these resources combined were essential for my success and I swear by Mike's study guide! I hope this helps and wishing you all the best on your next attempt.