Passed Pentest +

charismaticxcharismaticx Sec+, GSEC, GCED, GCIH, CEH, CySA +, GSNA, CASP, PenTest +, GCIA, Linux + , AWS CCP, CISMMember Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
 I just took and passed the exam. I thought it was actually harder than CASP. For anyone interested in taking this exam I would seriously review python and web attacks. I honestly hope this becomes 8570 because it definitely deserves either the analyst or incident response role.

I mainly used Jason Dion’s Udemy course and I reviewed my GCIH books for study material. Just about everything Jason covered helped out tremendously but even then I felt it wasn’t enough. I’m hoping to take the new version of Linux + sometime this year. 
Goals: RHCSA ; CISM; OSCP; GSE; Masters in Cyber Security Technology

Comments

• Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! 
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Security+, CCENT, ITIL Foundation, A+ Madison, WIAdmin Posts: 497 Admin
    Congratulations! You'll have to keep us posted on how the Linux+ goes!
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do
  • securitychopssecuritychops OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!  :)
    Current Certs   : OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64
    Goals for 2019 : OSEE
    Goals for 2020 : OSWE
  • Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Security+, CCENT, ITIL Foundation, A+ Madison, WIAdmin Posts: 497 Admin
    How do you think the Pentest+ sizes up against the CEH? I'd be curious to know which one you'd recommend, if I were to only pick one. 
    Who we are | What we do
  • charismaticxcharismaticx Sec+, GSEC, GCED, GCIH, CEH, CySA +, GSNA, CASP, PenTest +, GCIA, Linux + , AWS CCP, CISM Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would honestly rank CEH low in terms of difficulty when compared to GCIH, CySA and Pentest +. 
    I would honestly rank CEH low in terms of difficulty when compared to GCIH, CySA and Pentest +. 
    I've been hearing that from a number of different people now - that it's more of an entry-level cert compared to the others. Do you think the knowledge you gained from the CEH helped you take those more difficult exams?
    Who we are | What we do
  • charismaticxcharismaticx Sec+, GSEC, GCED, GCIH, CEH, CySA +, GSNA, CASP, PenTest +, GCIA, Linux + , AWS CCP, CISM Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually took CEH after I took GCIH. Everything I learned from that course helped me  out considerably for CEH. The only thing I really studied was the nmap switches. Most people that sit down in a CEH course will blow off the material because it’s not what they expected. 
    Interesting! Thanks for the insight!
    Who we are | What we do
  • SpiegelSpiegel Taco Tuesday FLMember Posts: 304 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [In-Progress]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA
    Currently Working On: MD-100 Windows 10

2020 Goals: MDAA [ ], LPI Linux Essentials [ ], Project+ [ ], Cloud Essentials+ [ ],
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise | CCNP Security
  • ahardinjrahardinjr MBA, MS, ITIL, Security+, Project+, MCP, MTA Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for sharing regarding Jason Dion's class!
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member AgrabahMember Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
      I thought it was actually harder than CASP. 
    Oh wow...what made it harder than CASP?
    CASP is very broad and relies on experience. The Pentest exam requires a more in depth knowledge on a number of attacks and how to remediate them. Web attacks for me have always been confusing. Another thing to watch out for is python. Python scripting can be confusing if you don’t have enough experience.
    Do you think Jason's Pentest+ course could be used to study for CEH?
    There’s a lot of overlap between CEH, CySA and Pentest +. However, Pentest + is much harder than CEH. CEH only attracts people because of the name value. 
    edited September 2019
    @charismaticx well i'm studying for CySA+ right now and my next class for WGU is CEH and i know Pentest+ is harder but figured if there's enough overlap it would be smart to utilize it and maybe take the test for it as well at some point. Just trying to plan accordingly lol
    Well if that’s the case get them all.