Options

just curious, C++ or python

diablo911diablo911 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
So i just finished the c++ 102 which is the second level that end with templates, it kicked my ass and working with inheritance and multiple files was very hard, iv never been and to this day do not enjoy coding the least bit, but am curious as to how far in depth a networking major would half to go into python subjects. Next semester is the first and only class ill have in python, but wasn't sure if its going to be a re learn of everything that i learned in C++ but just in python now.  The degree itself is very broad and if i ever decide to stick with it, the main areas of focus i was told would focusing all my effort into ( Cisco CCNA material + Linux + Python ) <--- this is allot to take in, i still have no idea if ill be able to have to pass my CCNA be i graduate cause this summer i have math and comparative religion which will take up most of my time, then the next semester is jam packed with ( unix + sql + ethical hacking + project management + something,cant remember ) but ya <-----thats allot to learn, especially if i have 0 knowledge on any of it as of now.  But ya, is that a good combo (ccna,linux,python) for a net worker.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Python is a terrific language to use for writing your own tools. For NetEng or NetOps work I would recommend learning Python and Powershell over C/C++/C#/Java and any other language used for large-scale application development.
  • Options
    Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    My guess is that a semester of Python 101 is not going to be covering anything that C++ 102 has not already. It is nice to be familiar with python though, because it can be vary useful when working with networking & automation. The CCNA is not really all that bad if you spend some time on it - especially if you'll be learning it in a classroom setting. I think you'll find that the hardest part is your first semester or two, since you're learning about things you know nothing about. Then, building on top of that knowledge will be a bit easier. You should find that combo to be very useful for networking.
    Community Manager at Infosec!
    Who we are | What we do